X

High beams work, low beams don't

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High beams work, low beams don't

So the topic title says it all. I have a 2003 katana 600. Towards the end of last summer my low beams stop working.

High beams work fine but if I flip the switch to low beams the lights go off entirely.

I have tried replacing both bulbs and the fuses. Neither have corrected the situation.

As always I offer a $10 PayPal to whoever gives the info that leads to me fixing it. Help me out and fill up your tank on me!

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2
    - Josh

2003 Suzuki Katana 600, Two Brothers Carbon Fiber exhaust, plasti dipped black and green (almost). I live and ride in Upstate NY.

Check the connection behind the third eye fairing, and check the connections in the switch pod on the left bar. There's several threads on the topic.

Questions, answers and posts pertaining to electrical mods and problems
    Last edited by steves; 06-13-2013, 10:21 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    -Steve

sigpic
    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
    Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Damn I searched all over and never found that thread, thanks a lot that's just what I needed. I will pm you for your PayPal address once I fixed it.

Thanks a lot!

- Josh

2003 Suzuki Katana 600, Two Brothers Carbon Fiber exhaust, plasti dipped black and green (almost). I live and ride in Upstate NY.

Comment

Why not just get a supporting membership and support the forum
        -Steve

sigpic

Comment

+1^^^^^ :thumbup:

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2
          2002 750 Kat
          2013 Polaris 850 XP LE(wrecked)
          2002 Ski-Doo MXZ 800
          2002 Ski-Doo MXZ 800 X-package
          1999 Ski-Doo MXZ 670 H.O.
          2009 Kawasaki KX250F(SOLD)

Comment

Originally posted by steves View Post
            Why not just get a supporting membership and support the forum
            Don't mind if I do

Don't mind me as I stumble to try and find the support link....

Just supported for a year. Don't know why I didn't do it sooner. Thanks a lot guys!

Last edited by rottenpixies; 06-13-2013, 10:58 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
            - Josh

Comment

I don't have much experience with motorcycles, but you might look at checking or replacing the switch, or following the wires and making sure there isn't a short in the wires for the low beam. Check the ends if the wires with a multimeter to make sure the wires are connected. Hope that helps.

Comment

In the link steves posted it shows someone with same issue that had burnt out connector under the center panel.
                So when I get home from work I am going to check that first and see if it's burned out.

If that's the case I think I am going to look into get something like this: http://easternbeaver.com/Main/Wiring...s/h4_kits.html

If anyone knows specifically on the above link which kit would be best fit for my issue with this connector, please feel free to make a suggestion. The kits also seem to make your lights brighter which I could really use with my low beams, they are pretty weak normally.
                - Josh

Comment

I can't see the link, but my guess is there's either a problem with the wiring on those connectors, or inside the switch pod itself.
                  -Steve

sigpic

Comment

Thanks Steves I really appreciate your help. I'm doing a ton of upgrades and fixes on my bike this year now that I got a new job I can afford to fix her up.

So I will definitely be happy to share the knowledge I learn and contribute back anyway I can.

- Josh

Comment

I had a similar issue over the weekend, my high beams stopped working, but the low beams worked. I just took the Switch housing apart on the left handlebar (Two Screws) and found one of the yellow wires not connected to the terminal anymore. I just got some solder and a soldering gun, reconnected the wire to the terminal, all set! Love easy cheap fixes like that.
                      sigpic

Ride the twisties!

2000 Suzuki Katana 600

Comment

So I took the front fairing off to get to where the head light connectors are and noticed a missing metal tab in the connector. I know very little except what I read here about electric but can someone tell me if this could be the issue?

The tab is missing on both connectors... nothing looks burnt out or anything. Just trying to figure out why these low beams still aren't working.
                        Sent from HTC Thunderbolt using TapaTalk
                        Attached Files
                        - Josh

Comment

That's probably not the issue then. Check the switch pod next.
                          -Steve

sigpic

Comment

Yea I'm going to check under the switch and see if it needs soldered. Been so nice out been riding all day.

Sent from HTC Thunderbolt using TapaTalk
                            - Josh

Comment

Working...
                            X