X

Headlight issues

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Headlight issues

Seems like everyone lately is having this problem. I've traced mine to this connector under the center panel

The connector looks burned where the yellow (top left) and white (beneath yellow) wire connect to the other half of the connector. I can only assume one is the power for low beam and one for the high beam. Should I just cut these two wires and tie them to the other side, forgoing the conector or is there some place to get another connector. Open to suggestions. Last nights 50 mile ride home in the dark wasn't fun. Thanks guys
    Last edited by Stinger02; 02-21-2012, 02:52 PM.

I had the same issue as well.

What I eventually did was purchase a hevy-duty H4 headlight harness that works with a relay from Eastern Beaver.

This way the original wiring harness only provides the signal to the relays and the H4 relay harness provides all the current.

You could also make one yourself if you are so inclined.
    How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
    How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
    How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
    How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

I took mine apart and applied silicone grease to it to keep the water and nasties out to keep things like that from happening. If you have the time, I recommend it to all connectors on your bike.

Comment

Problem solved
        I cut the wires and made new connectors

The yellow wire is the high beams and the white wire is the low beams

Wrapped it all up in electrical tape and now I have working lights again!

Comment

Excellent.

It's always good to see and be seen.
          How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
          How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
          How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
          How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

You might want to consider getting some shrink tubing to really seal those connections - especially if your scoot sees any rain on a regular basis.
            2006 Katana 750 - Daily therapy
            2005 ZZR1200 - Weekend therapy

Comment

Originally posted by diavolo View Post
              You might want to consider getting some shrink tubing to really seal those connections - especially if your scoot sees any rain on a regular basis.
              This. Along with some silicone grease. Those cheap connectors will corrode under the tape or the heat shrink if left ungreased.

Comment

That's good advice. Thanks guys!

Comment

It's funny that I have the same problem, although its in a different connector. Turn the High beam on and the connector gets really hott. The Yellow and white wire is burnt inside the connector.
                  wrecked em hell, damn near killed em.

Comment

I'm having this same issue. Steves pointed me to this thread that seems to have really good information. I had first tried to replace the fuse and bulbs when I had the non working low beam issue, neither worked.

I am at work right now and just discovered this possible fix which I am going to investigate further once I am home with my bike. If it is in fact a burned out connector like the one in the picture of the OP, does anyone have a suggestion of which wire kit would work well for me to replace? I saw one of them also enhances the brightness of the bulbs, which would really help me because when my low beam's were working, they were very weak.

Any suggestions on which kit I should choose would be much appreciated!
                    - Josh

2003 Suzuki Katana 600, Two Brothers Carbon Fiber exhaust, plasti dipped black and green (almost). I live and ride in Upstate NY.

Comment

Does anyone know where I can find one of those 6-pin connectors? I'm having issues with the headlight on my 05 also.

Comment

Two good sources... one or both might have the connectors your looking for..

http://www.7thgeardesigns.com
                        http://www.lunchtimecigar.com
                        '90 Suzuki 750 Kat

"Shut up and drink your gin" - Fagin (Oliver Twist)
                        "But, as is the usual scenario with a Harley it was off-line when it crashed," Schwantz added dryly.
                        "You didn't hear what I meant to say" - my Son

Comment

My connectors look fine. I still can't figure out my damn low beams. The connector seems fine, the lines are all wrapped up in electrical tape, the fuses are good, and the bulbs are brand new..

Any idea of how the hell I can get my low beams working? High beams work... about to end up bringing it to a shop for this.
                          - Josh

2003 Suzuki Katana 600, Two Brothers Carbon Fiber exhaust, plasti dipped black and green (almost). I live and ride in Upstate NY.

Comment

Working...
                          X