No announcement yet.
X

Loose Cam chain

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok..... maybe just a dumb question, but what makes you think it needs a new CC or CCT???? All Katanas sound like a noisy sewing machine when you first fire them up. It's much like firing up my old R1 and you can hear the EXUP valve when it's a cold start.......and I have 90K on it. Fuck!....... if it starts, shifts, and seems solid on the road....... just ride it. People worry too much.
    sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
    ------------------------------------------
    89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
    96 YZF 1000R

Comment

Originally posted by Slofuze View Post
      Ok..... maybe just a dumb question, but what makes you think it needs a new CC or CCT???? All Katanas sound like a noisy sewing machine when you first fire them up. It's much like firing up my old R1 and you can hear the EXUP valve when it's a cold start.......and I have 90K on it. Fuck!....... if it starts, shifts, and seems solid on the road....... just ride it. People worry too much.
      I was going to ask this same question. Unless you've noticed something, what makes you think there's a problem, just because they suggested it? I wouldn't think you have much to worry about unless you're noticing something wrong, then again I'm no expert, but that's how I'd go about it.

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
        I agree with said shop. I wouldn't ever put a master link on a cam chain either.
        Shop said "masterlink" and they didn't seem to think there was anyway to correct with even with an actual link replacement.

Originally posted by Slofuze View Post
        Not a dumb question at all. I have basically taken their word for it, and want to avoid a breakdown on the side of the road.

Regardless, its due for a valve adjustment, so I'm going to do that this weekend. I should know more after that.
        Last edited by chucspe; 06-04-2013, 08:04 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

There's at least 1000 Katanas on this site alone that have gone over 30K miles without the special $2,800 engine rebuild.
          +1
          I have one of them.

For that much you can get an entire new bike.

Valve adjustments aren't hard, just time consuming, especially the first couple of times. Don't forget to synch your carbs after. Good luck!
          1998 Katana 750
          1992 Katana 1100
          2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Originally posted by kevin2502000 View Post
            Not sure I would trust a master link going 12,000 rpm's
            Why is that?
            If properly riveted, shouldn't the master link hold up just as well as all the other chain links? To me it looks like all links are riveted together but I may be mistaken in this.

Comment

Do you really want to risk your entire engine on "should". Do you know what is involved in repairing an engine that has a broken cam chain? Cause I do.

Comment

Do you really want to risk your entire engine on "should". Do you know what is involved in repairing an engine that has a broken cam chain? Cause I do.
                Yes I do know what it takes to rebuild an engine that has suffered from a broken cam chain/belt.

But I still wonder why a riveted link is supposed to be such a bad idea. I am perfectly aware of the consequences of a failure, but why is a riveted link weaker than any of the other links in the chain?

Comment

just change the spring in the cam chain tensioner and youre good to go for another 10 years. thats what I did. You just need to take off the fairings and the ignition cover. Takes you about an hour. Download the service manual from the wikipage. very simple
                  2015 BMW S1000R

Comment

Originally posted by Jimmie View Post
                    Yes I do know what it takes to rebuild an engine that has suffered from a broken cam chain/belt.

But I still wonder why a riveted link is supposed to be such a bad idea. I am perfectly aware of the consequences of a failure, but why is a riveted link weaker than any of the other links in the chain?

It's not, if properly done.

But that's the question...

The chain is assembled in whole under strict guidelines with machines that are tuned and adjusted to give exacting repetitive results in quality at the factory. The chance of an issue from putting the chain together is extremely low.

Having someone by hand do the riveting = significantly higher chance that they under tighten, over tighten, bend the pin or deform it slightly.... all causing premature wear and or breakage.

It's not saying it will happen, but... for the time/cost invested... a lot of people prefer to stick with known good quality parts. A bad chain there generally is catastrophic for the motor.

Krey
                    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by mammut89 View Post
                      just change the spring in the cam chain tensioner and youre good to go for another 10 years. thats what I did. You just need to take off the fairings and the ignition cover. Takes you about an hour. Download the service manual from the wikipage. very simple

I was wondering if that were a solution. Still haven't gotten it in the garage, too much work and family visiting.

They are only 4.50 on bike bandit, so I'll order one regardless.

Thank You

Comment

Originally posted by chucspe View Post
                        I was wondering if that were a solution. Still haven't gotten it in the garage, too much work and family visiting.

They are only 4.50 on bike bandit, so I'll order one regardless.

Thank You
                        Should get you going, get the gasket too though.
                        2015 BMW S1000R

Comment

Working...
                        X