X

Loose Cam chain

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Loose Cam chain

So i'm a noob and I apologize in advance for that.

I took my 2006 GSXF600, just rolled over 27,000 miles,into my local shop this weekend for its service. (valve adjustment, oil change, check chain wear, check hub bearings etc). All the stuff I can do, but don't have enough time.

I get a call saying that my cam chain is loose, and that its going to be between $2800-$3000 for them to fix. I immediately declined their services.

Their justification is that its a 3 day job, they have to tear down the engine, replace the cam chain and tensioners, and do the rings, bearings, and re-hone cylinder whiles its apart.

The worst part is that the mechanic said that the CC and CCT only last 22,000-25,000mi and you will never see a Katana go past 30,000 mi without needing this $2800 work.

SOOOO...The big question here is what to do next?

Find a mechanic that isn't a dumb ass.

Comment

Trust me, I'm looking.

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
        Find a mechanic that isn't a dumb ass.
        I second that! Don't let them take you for a ride. idiot mechanics.
        sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
        ------------------------------------------
        89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
        96 YZF 1000R

Comment

Originally posted by Slofuze View Post
          I second that! Don't let them take you for a ride. idiot mechanics.
          Well that's the funny part, they had to know they were pricing themselves out of a job, so why would they do that?

Now I'm more interested in how do I positively diagnose that it is a stretched cam chain on my own? Knowledge is power, and I lack it.

Comment

Buy a low milage engine and swap it.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

$2,800 - $3K? Does that come with a pair of lips? Really - CC and CCT gone at 25K miles? My 06 750 has 89K with NO issues - and it get's ridden hard daily. Find a knowledgeable mechanic or make the time and do it yourself!
              2006 Katana 750 - Daily therapy
              2005 ZZR1200 - Weekend therapy

Comment

Buy my CCT.

I have a brand new one sitting in my garage.
                2015 KTM 1290 Super Adventure
                2005 Suzuki 750 Katana, sold
                1984 Kawasaki gpz 550, sold
                1982 Suzuki gs400e - sold
                1973 Honda cb350 - sold

Comment

There's at least 1000 Katanas on this site alone that have gone over 30K miles without the special $2,800 engine rebuild.
                  Last edited by arsenic; 06-03-2013, 03:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by xredjokerx View Post
                    Buy a low milage engine and swap it.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
                    Agreed. I'm already looking into it, I am going to make sure it needs the dang thing first though.

Comment

I had a cam chain done on my 600 without a total strip he joined the links on the new and old and threaded it through..rejoined and retensioned...with a service was about $500
                      I'm outa here

Comment

That's good to know, this shop also said they couldn't have a masterlink in the cam chain. I am glad I came here first.

So, my course of action now is to:
                        A. arm myself with service manual(s)
                        B. tear into my bike and learn how to adjust Katana valves, also check cam chain tension while I'm in there. (since I don't trust my shop's competence to diagnose a runny nose now)
                        C. See how extensive, if any, damage actually is.
                        D. Go from there.

Am I leaving anything out?

Comment

Originally posted by chucspe View Post
                          That's good to know, this shop also said they couldn't have a masterlink in the cam chain. I am glad I came here first.

So, my course of action now is to:
                          A. arm myself with service manual(s)
                          B. tear into my bike and learn how to adjust Katana valves, also check cam chain tension while I'm in there. (since I don't trust my shop's competence to diagnose a runny nose now)
                          C. See how extensive, if any, damage actually is.
                          D. Go from there.

Am I leaving anything out?
                          Not sure I would trust a master link going 12,000 rpm's
                          Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

I agree with said shop. I wouldn't ever put a master link on a cam chain either.

Comment

I would definitely read the manual, and check the chain for stretch before assuming anything the previous shop told you was true. That seems like a total load of bull. If there's no problem with the chain and or tensioner, I'd check the torque on the bolts for the tensioner just to make sure that previous shop didn't loosen it for you.

I really really hate shops like that, and wouldn't trust anything they did, ever. That's why I do all my own work.

Good luck!

Comment

Working...
                              X