X

Gas cap off with no key?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gas cap off with no key?

Is there a secret that will allow me to get the gas cap off this 89 Katana 750 with no key? The PO gave me a key, but it does not seem to work. Notably, it is also different than the ignition key (is this normal?). I've been soaking the lock in penetrating oil for about 12 hours now with no luck.
    My Bikes/Current: 1989 Suzuki Katana 750, 1980 Honda CB900C, 1973 Suzuki TS100, 2007 Yamaha Vino. Former: 1981 Honda CB650, 1982 Yamaha XJ550 Maxim, 2001 Yamaha V-Star, 1980 Yamaha 400, 19?? Suzuki Madura, 1974 Triumph T140E.

No, that's not normal. Usually you only need 1 key for everything.

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
      No, that's not normal. Usually you only need 1 key for everything.
      That's what I thought. The ignition key doesn't work in the tank either. It is completely different type of key than the (supposed) tank key.
      My Bikes/Current: 1989 Suzuki Katana 750, 1980 Honda CB900C, 1973 Suzuki TS100, 2007 Yamaha Vino. Former: 1981 Honda CB650, 1982 Yamaha XJ550 Maxim, 2001 Yamaha V-Star, 1980 Yamaha 400, 19?? Suzuki Madura, 1974 Triumph T140E.

Comment

1) Try the other key
        2) Try flipping the key (turn it 180*)
        -Steve

sigpic
        Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
        Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Remove the tank from the bike. Empty the tank. Remove the fuel sensor.

If you have a key that is correct, then spray lube onto the 2 latches from the fuel sensor side. Spraying oil into the lock portion isn't going to do much for you, that isn't where it's sticking nomrally.

If you do not have a key and that is why it won't open, then you can try using a long screw driver or pry bar to force the latch open from inside through the fuel sensor hole. If you can get one to move, both will (they are linked) and that will help get it open if you need to replace the cap entirely.

Krey
          93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
            Remove the tank from the bike. Empty the tank. Remove the fuel sensor.

If you have a key that is correct, then spray lube onto the 2 latches from the fuel sensor side. Spraying oil into the lock portion isn't going to do much for you, that isn't where it's sticking nomrally.

If you do not have a key and that is why it won't open, then you can try using a long screw driver or pry bar to force the latch open from inside through the fuel sensor hole. If you can get one to move, both will (they are linked) and that will help get it open if you need to replace the cap entirely.

Krey
            It's looking like this is the problem.

Is that supposed to be coated in black tar?

That doesn't look right.

Well, THERE'S your problem.

I had a similar problem with a Yamaha tank once. I eventually cut it in half and made a clock out of it.

Comment

If your gas tank and petcock look like that, what do you think the carbs look like?

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
                If your gas tank and petcock look like that, what do you think the carbs look like?
                Like this! I've been through them. This is a "before" picture.

Comment

Hope you can save the tank, I would just save my effort and find a better one. Try the rust dissolving chemicals that are out there.
                  "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
                  spammer police
                  USAF veteran
                  If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Kreem job gone bad? It looks like some sort of coating more than rust

Comment

Clean the tank well. I'd suggest not using an acid that will remove any good material. If you do clean it and it does not leak, then por-15 it and your set.

If it leaks... you may want to asses how badly it is. If just one or 2 small spots I would fix. If it was a whole section paper thin... time to move on to a better tank.

Krey
                      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

If it leaks... you may want to asses how badly it is. If just one or 2 small spots I would fix. If it was a whole section paper thin... time to move on to a better tank.
                        A leaky tank can be fixed? Leaky as in with holes in it, or as in bad gaskets?
                        1998 Katana 750
                        1992 Katana 1100
                        2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Originally posted by shpielers View Post
                          A leaky tank can be fixed? Leaky as in with holes in it, or as in bad gaskets?

As in holes.

The tank is metal and can be welded safely when properly cleaned. If it's a large section you can even cut it off and replace with new sheetmetal if you have the skills to shape/work it.

Krey
                          93 750 Kat

Comment

Clean the tank well. I'd suggest not using an acid that will remove any good material. If you do clean it and it does not leak, then por-15 it and your set.

Krey
                            +1, I was thinking of the water based rust remover. It works very well.
                            "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
                            spammer police
                            USAF veteran
                            If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Just to update, I WAS able to save this tank. It took a couple of weeks of soaking it in CLR and water with a bunch of sheet metal screws added to give it some abrasive cleaning action. Periodically, I would drain it and wash it out with dish washing liquid before refilling it. When I finally stopped having large chunks of gunk coming out with the rinse, I used an Eastwood tank sealing kit. This seems to have done the trick.

I was NOT able to save the gas cap--at least not the key-lock mechanism. After a professional locksmith was not able to get it off, I drilled out the pins and opened it with a screwdriver.

Comment

Working...
                              X