X

Header Bolts rusted over.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jman2343 View Post
    take it to a welding shop and have them weld some nuts on it. Put the other bolts back in and torque them down (will help take some clamping force off the bad bolts) after having the nuts welded on, spray again, and try to tighten the bad bolts first, then if the move a tad, work them back and forth little by little. Just went threw this again with rims I'm getting ready to powder coat for myself.

Even though they are grade 8 bolts in the picture I end up snapping the heads off lol then welded on a nut to those and they came out. But a welder with .023 wire should work fine and some nuts.
    How much did it cost you to do it? I really want to get the bolts off but i have a very ... very... very tight budget now from getting a titled frame and titling it to my name.

Comment

I did it my self but if I would guess a price I'd say no more than 30 bucks to weld some nuts on. just find a old hole in the wall welding shop. If you want them to extract the bolts it might be another story idk. Unless you can trailer the bike to Rhode Island lol

Comment

Originally posted by Jman2343 View Post
        I did it my self but if I would guess a price I'd say no more than 30 bucks to weld some nuts on. just find a old hole in the wall welding shop. If you want them to extract the bolts it might be another story idk. Unless you can trailer the bike to Rhode Island lol
        Be there next week. haha jk, but what do you need to do this? Never took welding in highschool lol. just need a propane torch, some wire and the nuts? if so i'll be doing that.

Comment

a propane torch will never get hot enough to weld metal. not even aluminum. an oxy acetylene torch gets hot enough but not strong enough for the welding you need. you would need either a MIG welder or stick welder. neither are cheep to buy and the cheaper of the two (stick welder) is considered alot harder to use. my preference is a stick welder with stainless steel electrodes (VERY strong)

BTW any shop will have a welder (either mig or stick or both) on hand for doing exhaust work...

by the sounds of your situation, you may have to completely drill the bolts out and re-tap the holes to install a heli-coil
          Last edited by boomer_95; 03-26-2013, 06:16 PM.
          if all else fails......... Get a hammer

parting out my 89 Kat 750

Comment

Originally posted by faceshanker12345 View Post
            Be there next week. haha jk, but what do you need to do this? Never took welding in highschool lol. just need a propane torch, some wire and the nuts? if so i'll be doing that.
            That's called brazing, and won't work for this.
            -Steve

sigpic
            Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
            Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Originally posted by kevin2502000 View Post
              Heat the bolt and threads like Krey said and use cold water to quench the bolt, it really works, old tractor mechanic trick.
              i use this technique alot for stubborn bolts.. it does really work and its called cold shocking

Comment

Originally posted by boomer_95 View Post
                i use this technique alot for stubborn bolts.. it does really work and its called cold shocking
                my problem is i just use a heat gun lol do you guys use a torch? my bike currently doesnt start.

Comment

Yes, propane torch, get them red hot.
                  Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

a propane torch will work but an oxy acetylene torch is better. a heat gun wont get it close to hot enough to shock it. its fine if you just want to heat the area while trying to take the bolt out but even then a torch is better.

Comment

Someone mentioned Mapp Gas. Comes in the yellow bottles instead of blue. Mapp gas burns much hotter than reg. propane and bridges the gap between propane and the higher temps you can achieve with oxy/acetlyne. Great for home use.
                      Do the thing you fear most, and the Death of fear is most certain.

Comment

Working...
                      X