Air mix screws in carbs

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air mix screws in carbs

Just a quick one all,

I've stripped some carbs, but I'm getting very different instructions on how far out the air mix screws should go.

I'm sure in previous threads "2 and a half turn out" are suggested.

Service manual say "1 and a quarter".

Carbs 101 says "1.5 to 2 turns".

Is this trial and error? It seems like a big job to adjust them each time?

Carbs are standard (not jetted).

Thanks.
    1997 Suzuki GSX600F Katana

Originally posted by Srengam View Post
    Just a quick one all,

I've stripped some carbs, but I'm getting very different instructions on how far out the air mix screws should go.

I'm sure in previous threads "2 and a half turn out" are suggested.

Service manual say "1 and a quarter".

Carbs 101 says "1.5 to 2 turns".

Is this trial and error? It seems like a big job to adjust them each time?

Carbs are standard (not jetted).

Thanks.
    Your in the UK... which has differnt sized jets on many models than US models. I didn't find it listed differntly in the wiki for what I believe matches to your bike, but to confirm since you have it apart... What are the pilot jet and main jet sizes that you have in the the carbs?

If your looking at main jets 112.5, and pilot jets of 32.5 I would suggest 2.5 turns out from lightly seated as a starting point.

That is just the starting point, and should fine tuned for your bike.

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

The stock setting is 1.75 turns out although apparently the factory guys weren't careful at all so they tend to be all over the place. 1.75 turns out results in the bike running way too lean (probably helped get past the EPA) and that's why 2.5 turns is recommended. From there, it's possible with a special screwdriver to adjust them while the bike is running but on these carbs it's a real pain. If you were really worried about it then it can be done but I've never had a Kat fail to run well with the A/F screws set at 2.5 turns out.
      Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
      HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

2 and a half turns it is then,

thanks all.
        1997 Suzuki GSX600F Katana

Comment

Working...
        X