No announcement yet.
X

Head Gasket Questions.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How would I screw up the signal generator? I'm gonna unbolt everything and lay the plate it's self on a table to do the slotting.

Comment

good luck with the mods. probably a fun project. personally I have a stock 600 engine and im all ok with that. Id rather spend the money on trackdays, fuel and motels and go out and ride and explore new places than upgrade the engine.
      2015 BMW S1000R

Comment

Originally posted by idratherbeoutback View Post
        How would I screw up the signal generator?
        My opinion is a bit jaded I must admit. Spend a little time here. Half the members of KatRiders.com could screw up re-bar.

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
          My opinion is a bit jaded I must admit. Spend a little time here. Half the members of KatRiders.com could screw up re-bar.
          I understand that. I take everything with a grain of salt. I'm not above screwing up anything but I do have a quite a bit of experience turning wrenches and especially doing things outside of the bolt on realm. Thanks for your post though. I have gained a lot of information from reading some of your past stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
            A thinner gasket is not the way you go to raise compression. I've never heard of that option. While engine building isn't my specialty. I do know you deck the head to raise compression. You shave a small amount of material from the cylinder head and use the regular head gasket I believe. You may combine the machining with a thinner head gasket, I'm not sure. I've never heard of only using a thinner gasket. But I digress, I'm not 100% sure when it comes to engine building.
            installing a thinner gasket is essentially the same as planing the head, except that you do not change the volume of the compression chamber. it would be like shaving the tops of the jugs....all with same results...a slightly higher compression ratio.

the problem with the thinner gasket is what Scotty touched on. higher compression combined with a thinner and "less quality" head gasket can easily lead to a blown head gasket. imho, the gain would not be enough to justify how much more "vulnerable" your head gasket would be.

back to topic....since the OP just wants to really gain a bit more mechanical skills, I say have at it. don't go dumping a shit load of money into it, but there are things he can do to wake up that 600 a little bit. polishing and porting the intake and exhaust is a good start, and good "hands on" practice. all it will reall cost him is a new head gasket. then the jet kit and ign advance.....well, that should keep him busy for a bit and give him a little experience. once he starts feeling comfortable doing it, then he can think about a different engine and doing the same thing to that.
            Last edited by Mojoe; 02-18-2013, 08:14 PM.
            I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Thanks everyone for the support and discussion. My jet kit came in and I have a set of cams waiting here. After all of the talk and consideration, I am gonna do the cam swap, Jet kit, ignition advancer, ground out the exhaust welds, and probably the coil relay mod. I won't be able to post any "real" results as I don't really have access to a dyno and I'm not really curious enough to pay for a dyno date. So my last question is, should I post pictures of the "upgrading" here or in a new thread, or even at all (if any body cares).

Comment

Start your own build thread. It cant hurt to have another pic intense build!
                94 GSX600F, V&H 4-1 Supersport exhaust

My daily driver build thread- http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=129561

Comment

Working...
                X