X

Head Gasket Questions.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Head Gasket Questions.

I have been reading and lurking on here for a while now. The whole time getting ideas. Anyways, long story short. I'm not looking for a demon bike, but just something a little quicker. The main bit of this is I want to do this for the experience of it. So. My bike is a bone stock 98 600 except for a yoshi full exhaust. Current plans include, a Jet kit, (Factory Pro), poor man's ignition advancer, and Katana 1100 cams. I am also debating on trying a little bit of porting and polishing, if I go this route, I was wondering what my head gasket options were while the head was off the engine. I have heard about people bumping there compression up a little with a thinner head gasket. I was wondering what my options are here and where to find them. Thanks in advance!

Good luck! I'm sure someone will jump in soon an be able to point you in the right direction.
    94 GSX600F, V&H 4-1 Supersport exhaust

My daily driver build thread- http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=129561

Comment

Unless wiseco makes a gasket kit, which I can't remeber if they do or not, your only option is OEM or Vesrah, which are the same thickness.

You would be better served just upgrading the motor to an 1127 or B12 rather than spend upgrades on the 600 powerplant.
      -Steve

sigpic
      Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
      Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

A thinner gasket is not the way you go to raise compression. I've never heard of that option. While engine building isn't my specialty. I do know you deck the head to raise compression. You shave a small amount of material from the cylinder head and use the regular head gasket I believe. You may combine the machining with a thinner head gasket, I'm not sure. I've never heard of only using a thinner gasket. But I digress, I'm not 100% sure when it comes to engine building.

Comment

You forgot to say "stop trying to put money into a 600"
          -Steve

sigpic
          Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
          Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Originally posted by steves View Post
            You forgot to say "stop trying to put money into a 600"
            Why would I say that? I put a shitload of money into a 600 that is now an 813cc monster. Ok, the cylinder head and cylinder block are from a 750, but it was originally a 600. No, it's not actually built yet, but all the machining is done, porting, polishing, over bore, lightened and balanced crank etc. And all the parts are accounted for, Crower con rods, CP pistons, etc. I didn't do any of the machining, and I didn't deck the cylinder head either. I did do the same shit to an 1127 though, it's a 1216cc. That's not done either. I got sidetracked with starting a business and make a living.
            Last edited by arsenic; 02-15-2013, 02:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by idratherbeoutback View Post
              . The main bit of this is I want to do this for the experience of it.. Thanks in advance!
              I can understand that..

Originally posted by steves View Post
              You would be better served just upgrading the motor to an 1127 or B12 rather than spend upgrades on the 600 powerplant.
              This is pretty much balls to the wall for a kat though...doubling displacement is a big step up lol. Not everyone needs the biggest motor, sometimes is more fun to tune what ya have to the way you want it. I mean is it really logical to mod a big heavy bike in the first place? Lol no, but we do
              Last edited by crazycraven420; 02-15-2013, 02:04 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
              94 GSX600F, V&H 4-1 Supersport exhaust

My daily driver build thread- http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=129561

Comment

If you want an 1100 (and why wouldn't you!) just sell off the 600 and get an 1100 Kat. Loving mine...
                Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Ill be the one to say "don't waste money on a 600 engine" that's a lot of work and money for a barely noticeable gain.

Hell a couple thousand into the engine of my 636 is likely only worth about 8% gain in peak power, the torque spread is pretty nice though.

Running a thinner head gasket is extremely popular with the race bike crowd, but the quality of the gasket is much more important thAn the actual thickness. Kwai offers three different thicknesses from their race shop btw...
                  Last edited by scottynoface; 02-15-2013, 09:40 PM.
                  90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                  I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                  Originally posted by soulless kaos
                  but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

I expected the don't waste your money comments. That's fine. I personally would love to drop a 1127 in there. I've been close to pulling the trigger on a couple of them or even a b12. I know I have the skills for that. I have done engine swaps in jeeps that weren't bolt in. I have just never actually torn into an engine. I just wanted to start scratching the surface of building engines. Plus I didn't want to tear much deeper than the head with riding season coming up (You're supposed to stop riding when it's cold?) Anyways. I will probably just do the cams, advancer, and jet kit.

also, I wouldn't just want to swap in an engine like that without doing work on the inside. To much potential especially with the work involved in swapping an engine.
                    Last edited by idratherbeoutback; 02-16-2013, 11:31 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Get the real advancer, They still sell them.
                      "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
                      spammer police
                      USAF veteran
                      If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

No offense, But I am not gonna spend 60 bucks on something I can do myself for free. Besides "Don't waste money on a 600" Kidding, I really do appreciate all of them input.

Comment

You realize if you make a mistake and damage the signal generator, it costs A LOT more than $60 right?

Comment

If he screws up he'll need to replace the plate. $15 on fleabay.
                            Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                            HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Not even gonna go there. Have fun with your mods OP. I hope it works out well for you.

Comment

Working...
                              X