X

GSX600 Headers? I guess not...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GSX600 Headers? I guess not...

So, the GSX600 header I bought showed up today. Excited with it's arrival I ran right out to the garage and tried to fit the pipes up.

To my dismay, the distances between the pipes is different!

So I guess I can either try to bend these pipes to the correct distances, or sell them and try again?

-Steve

sigpic
    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
    Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Those look like gsxr600 pipes (watercooled) not gsxf600 pipes (oilcooled). Best to throw them back on ebay and hunt for the correct headers.

Comment

yeah i'm pretty sure those are newer style gsxr pipes, there was a set of bandit 1200 pipes on ebay that sold for 30 bucks 2 days ago. I was gonna try and get em but i'ma have to wait till next month to upgrade anything else

Comment

I have a set of 98+ 600 headers if you want them.

Comment

I need a set of 93 600 headers, mine are rusted to shhh

Comment

Originally posted by sonny
            I need a set of 93 600 headers, mine are rusted to shhh
            Unless they are actually rusted through, you can salvage them.
            Method A:
            Remove.
            Have sand blasted or bead blasted (they must be 100% clean in a way sanding simply won't do)
            Now it's your choice: either have them ceramic coated (visit your local powdercoater, about $150 including the blasting), paint with an exhaust-rated epoxy paint (such as POR-20) or high-temp BBQ paint.
            Reinstall.

Method B:
            Remove.
            Sand lightly (wire brush will do) and coat heavily with a rust converter that will change the rust to magnetite. Wait to cure & reapply yet again, soaking it well a 2nd time. Again allow to dry & cure.
            Now paint with an exhaust-rated epoxy paint (such as POR-20) or BBQ paint.

As MD86 will tell you (as well as countless others), you can't just sand away the rust -- if there is any rust left, the paint will fall off in a few weeks (or even days) and the rust will repear.

Cheers,
            =-= The CyberPoet
            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Yeah , mine rusted thgouh again in about 2 days , after I had spent about 3 days and half a bottle of naval jelly on mine . Now , where can I get this converter junk again ?
              I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Originally posted by md86
                Now , where can I get this converter junk again ?
                I got mine from the local metal supplier that provides large-quantity metal stocks... I can't remember what brand it was, though (Foss? Goss? something like that, liquid phosphate bath, close-out priced at $10/gal as a liquid in a clear plastic bottle).

You might want to search the web, or try Rust-X Converter by Superior Industries (email [email protected] ) and see if their spray would be the right thing for the type of temps an exhaust goes through.

Cheers
                =-= The CyberPoet
                Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Roger . Thanks again for helping those too lazy to search on their own .
                  I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Working...
                  X