X

Key code?!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Key code?!

Ok so iv done the unthinkable, iv lost my only set of keys to my 02 katana. Iv been reading up on every possible solution and iv discovered that getting my key code and having a locksmith create a new key will be the cheapest way. My question is, I know that dealers can get a key code just from a vin but every local dealer iv called claims they cannot. Is there a general suzuki number I can call for this? If not, how hard is it to remove the ignition?

Ignition is held in by 2 torx bolts, can't remember the size off hand. IIRC, the key code is just the particular kind of key required. The code will not help anyone cut you a new key without having the ignition switch.
    1992- project katfighter
    2005- GSXR750
    2001- TL1000R
    http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=111130
    www.lunchtimecigar.com

KATRIDERS RALLY 2014 - cintidude04
    KATRIDERS RALLY 2015 - cintidude04
    KATRIDERS RALLY 2016 - cintidude04

Comment

No, I've never heard of any sort of magic number you can get from a dealer actually being successful. Take the ignition switch off, or just pull the whole top tree with the ignition switch in it. Take that to a locksmith, have them cut a new key. I've done that a time or two. The only "key code" I know to be real, is on the bottom of the ignition switch.

Originally posted by cintidude04 View Post
      Ignition is held in by 2 torx bolts, can't remember the size off hand.
      They are security torx, I wanna say T20 or T25, but I'm not 100% sure. You're actually lucky, the 98-06 Katana ignition is held on by security torx. The 88-97 uses shear head bolts. Those are a huge pain in the ass to remove.
      Last edited by arsenic; 11-29-2012, 02:08 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Ok, well the dealer I spoke to said that if I had the key code he could make me the key and ship it to me. I assume he is mistaken then?

Comment

I've never once heard of a success story from that. You would be the first.

Comment

Originally posted by Twilkezz View Post
            Ok, well the dealer I spoke to said that if I had the key code he could make me the key and ship it to me. I assume he is mistaken then?
            It's worked for me with a Honda, not sure about Suzuki. But the key code for the Honda was on the bottom/underside of the ignition switch.

1997 Katana 600
            Sold
            2006 Katana 600 Salvage

Comment

Same with Suzuki. A dealer has never ordered a key with said number though. A locksmith has always cut a new key when given the ignition switch containing said number.

Comment

Working...
              X