X

New oil filter everytime?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New oil filter everytime?

Ok I changed my oil yesterday and am now getting grilled for not changing my oil filter. For been riding for 5 years and have always changed my filter every other change, each change is about every 2k. Can someone explain y this is bad?? I'm sure it's "ideal" to change it every time but that very very expensive at $60 per change(oil and filter).

You will get both sides of why it's good/bad here - it generally boils down to personal preference. I also change out my filter every 2nd oil change - and that is every 3K or so. I also have a high powered magnet attached to the filter, which I swap to it's replacement when changed. With over 85K on the clock, I have not had any issues with this maintenance frequency. To each his own - even the factory recommends changing out the filter every other oil change, so the filtering media must be sufficient to allow this.
    2006 Katana 750 - Daily therapy
    2005 ZZR1200 - Weekend therapy

Comment

Originally posted by Cryoblade85 View Post
      Ok I changed my oil yesterday and am now getting grilled for not changing my oil filter. For been riding for 5 years and have always changed my filter every other change, each change is about every 2k. Can someone explain y this is bad?? I'm sure it's "ideal" to change it every time but that very very expensive at $60 per change(oil and filter).
      the service manual might even say to replace it every other change. My last bike was a bandit, and it said to change the filter every other oil change. I think the issue is quality. If it's a good oil filter, it's probably good for more than 2k miles. If it's a cheap filter (like FRAM), may be better to replace it more often.
      previous rides
      06 kat 600, 04 Triumph ST Streetfighter, 07 Vstar 1100, 03 GSXR 750, 03 Hayabusa, 07 SV 1000 , 02 Bandit 1200s, Current ride - 07 Roadliner 1900,
      next ride - another kat

Comment

OEM filter every other change, i do filter and oil in the spring then fresh oil before storage.
        90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
        I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
        Originally posted by soulless kaos
        but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Can't get it to run right? Find a trick to add HP?
          From the first oil change to completely rebuilding the engine,
          this is the place to talk about the heart of the beast!

-Steve

sigpic
          Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
          Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

$60 per change.... I assume you are having the shop do it?

Even my full synthetic oil change is less then that. Invest in the $10 worth of tools and start changing your own oil. The savings would allow you to get new filter everytime if you wanted and still save a crap ton of money
            I am a Penn State fanatic.
            Why is the sky blue and white? God is a PSU fan...

Comment

Originally posted by soulpatch View Post

Even my full synthetic oil change is less then that. Invest in the $10 worth of tools and start changing your own oil. The savings would allow you to get new filter everytime if you wanted and still save a crap ton of money
              100% ester based synthetic (true synthetic) is about $55 a gallon around here. With filter it cost me $65 to do my oil change. What you save is the additional $35 labor the shop would charge you.
              sigpic Mulholland Hwy Ride
              1992 Katana GSX600F (on permanent loan to a family member)
              2000 Suzuki Hayabusa
              First Hayabusa Commercial Hayabusa Design
              Hayabusa #1 Wonder of Motorcycles

Comment

I have only let a shop change my oil once and that was after they replaced my petcock and rebuilt my carbs. Other then that I do my own. It's about $12/quart here for full synthetic and the another $15 for k&n filter, so about $65 w taxes.

Comment

Originally posted by soulpatch View Post
                  Not really, I pay a little over $50 for 4qt of Amsoil 10w40. Add the filter and you're right around $60.
                  90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                  I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                  Originally posted by soulless kaos
                  but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Originally posted by scottynoface View Post
                    Not really, I pay a little over $50 for 4qt of Amsoil 10w40. Add the filter and you're right around $60.
                    $4 or so for filter
                    Mobil 1 synthetic runs me another $30-40 for the 675

savings of 15-20 a pop to do it myself and still put on new filter.

and I never ran synthetic in the Kat. Never saw the point so oil was all of like $12-15 or so with a 4 dollar filter.
                    I am a Penn State fanatic.
                    Why is the sky blue and white? God is a PSU fan...

Comment

motorcycles are tedious and expensive but so much damn fun.
                      -Fire Is Good, It purifies the Soul.
                      sigpic

Comment

Working...
                      X