X

OEM Oil Filter Change?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OEM Oil Filter Change?

I am ready for my first oil change on my 750 Katana. I decided to splurge and buy a OEM oil filter for $14. I noticed in my owners manual that Suzuki thinks its OK not to change the oil filter every time the oil is changed. No wonder the filter is so expensive! Does any one out there follow this practice? Any opinions on doing this out there?

$14 is cheap insurance. dont forget to spend the extra $1 to replace the crush washer on the oil drain plug and avoid that obnoxious little drip if you dont.
    99% of the questions asked here can be answered by a 2 minute search in the service manual. Get a service manual, USE IT.
    1990 Suzuki GSX750F Katana
    '53 Ford F250 pickumuptruck
    Lookin for a new Enduro project

Comment

Originally posted by Firedriver23 View Post
      I am ready for my first oil change on my 750 Katana. I decided to splurge and buy a OEM oil filter for $14. I noticed in my owners manual that Suzuki thinks its OK not to change the oil filter every time the oil is changed. No wonder the filter is so expensive! Does any one out there follow this practice? Any opinions on doing this out there?
      I change mine everytime I change the oil... purely because it makes me feel better.

Most oils are actually rated to last 3X the "recomended oil change" time lines. Unless you have a major issue, the oil filters are also not going to need to be changed every time, but about every 3rd change.

But, at the price of $14... I'll error on the side of caution for my own self gratification.

Krey
      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

I change my oil filter at each oil change. It seems to be a like a combo meal, to me, oil change means new oil and new filter.

Comment

I change my filter every 2nd or 3rd oil change. My manual says 15,000 miles so I'm cool with that.
          90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
          I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
          Originally posted by soulless kaos
          but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

I always change my filter when I change my oil. Not doing so kind of feels like you just took a shower, but then put on your sweaty dirty clothes again.
            It doesn't matter what you ride, as long as you ride.

Comment

Check with Cyberpoet, I think he has the filters cheaper than that.
              Chris

Originally posted by jetmerritt
              Save up for great gear and dress for the fall before you ride. If you can't afford good quality gear, don't ride. It's like saying you can't afford seat belts for your car. There are just no laws to make gear mandatory.

Comment

Originally posted by DumbLuck View Post
                $14 is cheap insurance. dont forget to spend the extra $1 to replace the crush washer on the oil drain plug and avoid that obnoxious little drip if you dont.
                Get a Fumoto valve and you won't have to worry about that!
                "When you work on your mysterious lady part stuff, you should have the right tools, too. That's why you should use Maypax. The official tampon of NASCAR." Ricky Bobby

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Firedriver23 View Post
                  The practice is standard in many parts of Europe, where recycling oil filters is expensive (e.g. - in Germany, the shop literally has to put the filter in a small centrifuge and spin it up to get every last drop of recyclable oil out of it). Some claim the filter efficiency actually goes up because the bigger passages in the filtration material gets clogged first, leaving smaller holes.

I've gone past the interval on the OEM oil filters, esp. on road trips (changed the oil, left the filter) -- easy to do with the fumoto valve -- but I've never pushed it to the third oil-change interval (11k miles), which is what Suzuki says they are rated for.

Originally posted by Trackerrrr View Post
                  Check with Cyberpoet, I think he has the filters cheaper than that.
                  $8.50 plus shipping for the OEM Suzuki Filters. If you buy four or more (grab a year's supply at once), the shipping cost per filter becomes almost negligible. They also fit virtually every other model Suzuki made in the last fifteen years or so...
                  My deals thread: http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=58596

Cheers
                  =-= The CyberPoet
                  Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
                  X