X

buying used cams

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• buying used cams

I have a chance to buy a 88 gsxr 750 engine complete for a very good price, and of course want to do the cam swap in my post 750. Now what I am wondering is would it be ok to put used cams in my 750 without the engine getting ruined, I know that I will have to check for wear on the lobes but anything else to look for?
    Also the engine was out of a wrecked bike so the engine is good/can run

Most of the time with cam swaps people use used cams. New ones aren't cheap.
    1992- project katfighter
    2005- GSXR750
    2001- TL1000R
    http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=111130
    www.lunchtimecigar.com

KATRIDERS RALLY 2014 - cintidude04
    KATRIDERS RALLY 2015 - cintidude04
    KATRIDERS RALLY 2016 - cintidude04

Comment

Well that deal was a bust, the so called 88 gsxr engine turned out to be a 96 kat 600 engine. But according arsenic's thread on the cam swap, the katana 1100 cams should be the same as the 88 gsxr cams, can anyone verify this for me?

Comment

So, you need verified information verified? Really? It's right there duder.

Comment

I just wanted to double check everything to make sure, What I did find out when researching is that the 88 and 90 gsxr intake and exhaust cams are the same exact part numbers but the thread on the cam swap says they are all different lobe heights for different years which confused me.

Comment

They aren't the same part. I suggest you However, they are REALLY close to the same, as I'm right now. So if some online parts warehouse says they are the same, I could totally see that.
            Last edited by arsenic; 10-02-2012, 05:44 PM.

Comment

I got burned on buying used cams, seems to be a crap shoot.
              90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
              I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
              Originally posted by soulless kaos
              but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

If you want cams, I have multiple sets out of a GSXR 1100, both 4 lobe per cam and 8 lobe (you need 4 lobe). I'd be happy to mic them out and check on the condition for you. Let me know.

Comment

Originally posted by scottynoface View Post
                  I got burned on buying used cams, seems to be a crap shoot.
                  Yep, that happened to me once as well. Bad part is you have to measure them to be sure of what your getting.
                  1992- project katfighter
                  2005- GSXR750
                  2001- TL1000R
                  http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=111130
                  www.lunchtimecigar.com

KATRIDERS RALLY 2014 - cintidude04
                  KATRIDERS RALLY 2015 - cintidude04
                  KATRIDERS RALLY 2016 - cintidude04

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
                    If you want cams, I have multiple sets out of a GSXR 1100, both 4 lobe per cam and 8 lobe (you need 4 lobe). I'd be happy to mic them out and check on the condition for you. Let me know.
                    I've got a 92 750 and was pondering the Gsxr cam swap...would you have a set for me and what would you want for them?

Comment

Originally posted by DaBears View Post
                      I've got a 92 750 and was pondering the Gsxr cam swap...would you have a set for me and what would you want for them?
                      I'd have to check. but I'm pretty sure I do. PM me about a price.

Comment

Silly question and also because I dont have the manual to read but are the gsxr 1100 cams the same as the katana 1100 cams?

Comment

No, the Katana 1100 cams are the same as the GSXR 750 cams (at least the IN cam). I'm pretty sure that nice little write up I did says just that. And the 1988 EX cam, I just checked. It's hard to remember all this.
                          Last edited by arsenic; 10-02-2012, 11:03 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X