X

help

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help

ok ive done search n found nothing similer to my issue. I am having problems getting the 93 Katana 750 started. It will turn over, but not fast enough to start the bike. If I hook up the battery with battery cables to the car it will turn over fast enough to start. I did a voltage test, checked the battery, made sure the battery was charged, added distilled water to the battery and then eliminated the battery issue by putting the battery from the 95 Katana 600 (which starts fine) into the 750. Still had the same problem. What other issue(s) could be keeping it from turning over fast enough to actually start the bike?

have you recently done any engine work on the bike or did it just start.
    The Katana's Big Brother
    1999 1200s StreetFighter Bandit

Comment

no work has been done too bike since the problem has started.

Comment

did the problem start after any work was done though
        The Katana's Big Brother

Comment

i guees the answer would be yes. the mods where done last spring (no electrical work has been done) and it has been fine until just the past month when i noticed it was happing

Comment

what mods were done to it?
            The Katana's Big Brother

Comment

due too some recent misfortunes or drivers lic's i have to sell bike for lawyer. . im selling my 1993 katana 750, it hass 30,000 miles runs great. alway changed oil with maxium synthic n k&n filter. new battery. recent upgrades are
              *full chrome vance&hines ss2r exhaust
              *vortex front n rear 520 sprockets 1 up 2 down with did x ring 520 chain
              *fender eliminator with carbon fiber led turn signals
              *LP dark smoke windscreen
              *GSXR rear 4.5 inch rim
              *dunlop d208's 120/70 170/60
              *front clear flush mount turn signals
              *dyno jet stage 1 jet kit
              *nkg platnium plugs
              *polished out all metel around body work
              *rims powder coated black n made taillight look [/url]

Comment

to my knowledge the only plugs that you should use in the bike is JR9C(or jr8c if you want a hotter plug) because of the plug length. NGK doesnt make a platnium plug to fit this perticullar bike. that could be part of the problem but other then that, mayby someone else will chim in here
                The Katana's Big Brother

Comment

Re: help

Originally posted by dragracn
                  ok ive done search n found nothing similer to my issue. I am having problems getting the 93 Katana 750 started. It will turn over, but not fast enough to start the bike. If I hook up the battery with battery cables to the car it will turn over fast enough to start. I did a voltage test, checked the battery, made sure the battery was charged, added distilled water to the battery and then eliminated the battery issue by putting the battery from the 95 Katana 600 (which starts fine) into the 750. Still had the same problem. What other issue(s) could be keeping it from turning over fast enough to actually start the bike?
                  If the car battery can spun it up, but a known-good bike battery won't, I'd suspect that one of the following issues is at play:
                  Battery (hey, a pre-98 600 battery isn't the same CCA or AH as a pre-98 750 battery -- not nearly as much power on demand).
                  Engine resistance - sludgy oil, rust in the cylinders, valves set too tight, sticking parts.
                  Cabling from the battery to the starter defective (corrosion in the cables or at the connectors providing excess resistance on the circuit).

Several more questions come to mind:
                  (A) Did you put any oil into the spark plug holes before you tried to start it? A teaspoon in each will go a long way to letting the engine turn more freely.
                  (B) When's the last time it got an oil change?
                  (C) When you jumped it off the car battery, did it actually start, or did it merely spin up fast enough to start? Once started, did it run?

Cheers
                  =-= The CyberPoet
                  Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I also hope we're not going car battery-to-bike battery.....cables should be on the frame and the battery over at the bike's end, yes?
                    FrankenKat 1216
                    GS Fiter 816
                    GSXR750! (race)

Comment

oil is fresh.. less then 1000 miles. its not that the motor isnt turning freely, it seems like the starter is getting enough voltage or amprage.. when i do jump start it(yes gound using frame) she spins the starter faster n fires right up n runs like a dream

Comment

Originally posted by dragracn
                        oil is fresh.. less then 1000 miles. its not that the motor isnt turning freely, it seems like the starter is getting enough voltage or amprage.. when i do jump start it(yes gound using frame) she spins the starter faster n fires right up n runs like a dream
                        Retest your battery (The 600 battery was not a fair test, as it's 1/3rd down on power compared to yours):
                        Take out, charge full. Without reinstalling it, check voltage between terminals. Wait 6 hours without installing. Retest voltage between terminals. If the voltage sank off at all, get another battery.
                        If not, check the draw (amps) with the battery connected but bike off (key off) -- should be under 1/10th amp. If not, wiring problems killing the battery. Or take it somewhere that has a load tester.

Also check the cables between the battery, starter relay, starter and the connections.

Cheers,
                        =-= The CyberPoet
                        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

thanks cyber.. im charging batt now...hoping its simple issue

Comment

Originally posted by katana91
                            t NGK doesnt make a platnium plug to fit this perticullar bike.
                            DR9EIX is the iridium equivilant , actually . I gotta wonder about the battery leads . Maybe they got some crud on them or something .
                            I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Originally posted by md86
                              Originally posted by katana91
                              t NGK doesnt make a platnium plug to fit this perticullar bike.
                              DR9EIX is the iridium equivilant , actually . I gotta wonder about the battery leads . Maybe they got some crud on them or something .
                              from what i have heard the dr9eix is not the same length. i could be wrong though,but ill compare them at work today and see if they are the same or not
                              The Katana's Big Brother

Comment

Working...
                              X