X

Bad gaskets

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bad gaskets

I ride a 93 GSX750f with 13,500 miles on it, it started leaking oil real bad. I saw a few drops when I bought it, but not this bad. It's almost entirely coming from the valve cover or the "radiator" hose connections on the engine.

Does anyone have torque specs? Also is there anything I should do while the valve cover is off? The bike doesn't like idling until it warms up. Then once it's warmed up if I turn it off it doesn't like to start back up. I'm gonna do new plugs and wires and make sure the carbs are set right.

Just asking if there is anything I should do while it's apart. I think it has a vacuum leak still, when I rev up it stays high for a couple seconds, but does drop down. Oh! And what brand parts is recommended?

Originally posted by Freek View Post
    I ride a 93 GSX750f with 13,500 miles on it, it started leaking oil real bad. I saw a few drops when I bought it, but not this bad. It's almost entirely coming from the valve cover or the "radiator" hose connections on the engine.

Does anyone have torque specs? Also is there anything I should do while the valve cover is off? The bike doesn't like idling until it warms up. Then once it's warmed up if I turn it off it doesn't like to start back up. I'm gonna do new plugs and wires and make sure the carbs are set right.

Just asking if there is anything I should do while it's apart. I think it has a vacuum leak still, when I rev up it stays high for a couple seconds, but does drop down. Oh! And what brand parts is recommended?

Take the fairings off. Wash the oil off. Run/ride the bike and find where the new oil is coming from. This will tell you what/where you need to go next for that.

What is the oil level like fyi? Thinned out oil will leak when normal oil won't. It's not entirely improbably that you have some carbs allowing fuel to thin out the oil, so lets check that while we are discussing it. Over full, smell like gas (the oil that is)?

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

This is a good idea, why couldnt I have thought of it before? lol

As much oil as it is leaking I figured it'd be bone dry by now. But it still reads full, so I'm gonna give her a sniff test! I'll report back in a few.

Yep, oil REEKS of gasoline.
      Last edited by Freek; 07-14-2012, 03:13 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Originally posted by Freek View Post
        This is a good idea, why couldnt I have thought of it before? lol

As much oil as it is leaking I figured it'd be bone dry by now. But it still reads full, so I'm gonna give her a sniff test! I'll report back in a few.

Yep, oil REEKS of gasoline.

Okay, time for a carb cleaning, then an oil change.

After the carbs are cleaned and inspected, do a bench test to make sure they are no longer leaking before putting them back on the bike.

Krey
        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Ok, where should I buy my rebuild kits and valve cover gasket, plugs and wires. I need it all, it fouled out and left me to walk home 10 miles.

Comment

Any help is appreciated for real! I'd love to be riding to work within the next week or two. I am quite mechanically inclined, I just happen to be new to bikes.

Comment

New plugs but first take the carbs apart and clean and inspect. You may not need anything or you may need everything.
              Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

Working...
              X