No announcement yet.
X

Stuck Valve, Ways to get it loose?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maybe I missed it, but if you haven't yet pulled the valve cover off and taken a peek inside you should do it. Once the cover is off you'll be able to see the top of the valve train. Turn the engine over using a wrench on the crankshaft and see what is happening to that valve when the cam lobe depresses the rocker.
    Kreylyn may have already provided you with an answer - bad rocker......it could easily happen.
    I have some spare used top end parts around if you need them.
    Last edited by jetta90; 06-30-2012, 10:09 AM.

Comment

Well I pulled the valve cover and watched the valves while I cycled the engine.
      And they all moved no hesitation, no sticking or anything. So I'm trying to figure out what It could be. Thoughts?

Comment

Since the title of this post, and most of the content has been a stuck valve.....what are the symptoms? Looks like it's not a stuck valve after all.

Comment

Cold #4 header, pretty much the cylinder seems to not be running at all. Got spark and I've redone the carbs. I've tried a gravity fed bottle and tank fed.

Comment

It's a clogged pilot jet.

Comment

I'm gonna go with dirty carbs.....how did you clean them again?

Comment

specifically
                Originally posted by arsenic View Post
                It's a clogged pilot jet.
                I'm not saying that it wasn't clean when you did the carbs. If there is any sediment in your fuel tank, the pilot jets will clog again in no time flat.

Comment

I resealed my tank, then cleaned my carbs twice since then I pulled every jet and soaked them. I also check the diaphragms and needles, I pulled the emulsion tubes. I don't think there's anything I'm missing is there?

Comment

DId you soak the carb bodies or just the jets? Pulled the air/fuel screws too? What did you seal your tank with?

Comment

I scrubbed and sprayed the bodies several times. And have done a full rebuild kit, yes I did the A/F screws also. New orings and new float needle.

Comment

Originally posted by Samuraiace View Post
                        I scrubbed and sprayed the bodies several times. And have done a full rebuild kit, yes I did the A/F screws also. New orings and new float needle.
                        That's not going to clean out the tiny fuel passages though.....dip them to absolutely rule them out as the issue.

Comment

Is there anything I should check while i have the valve cover off, I.e specs?
                          Also I can't find a place that sells chem dip where I'm at. can I use an alternative like what gunk makes?

Comment

You can check valve clearances while you have the cover off, but you'll need a new gasket for the signal generator cover most likely.

Never used the Gunk stuff so....not sure how well it works.

Comment

signal generator cover?

Comment

That's how you rotate the engine to check the clearances. You have to take that cover off.

Comment

Working...
                                X