X

Stuck Valve, Ways to get it loose?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stuck Valve, Ways to get it loose?

Well like the title says, I've got a stuck valve from the bike sitting for so long and I'm trying to free it up. Is there a way to lubricate it and get the valve to come loose? Can I spray onto it through the exhaust port. Idk... I just need some ideas, any help is greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by Samuraiace; 06-28-2012, 12:02 AM.

Originally posted by Samuraiace View Post
    Well like the title says, I've got a stuck valve from the bike sitting for so long and I'm trying to free it up. Is there a way to lubricate it and get the valve to come loose? Can I spray onto it through the exhaust port. Idk... I just need some ideas, any help is greatly appreciated.
    I'd pull the head and have it serviced at the machine shop.

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

hmm...I'm wondering if thats in my budget, any idea on a price I might be looking at?

Comment

hmm...I'm wondering if thats in my budget, any idea on a price I might be looking at?

It cost me $50 for a local shop to pull all valves, inspect, and surface prep the head on a pre 750. That was probably a "shop cost" price though. If no replacement parts, I can't see it being much more than $100 for the basic work. If they need to redo any of the valves, then your probably looking at a little more for the parts.

Krey
        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Well thats not too bad, I know I have a race shop down the road from me that could do the work. I can give them a call in the morning, what should I say I need done? clean and inspection?
          If I need parts do you know of any good/cheaper places to buy from?

Comment

Well thats not too bad, I know I have a race shop down the road from me that could do the work. I can give them a call in the morning, what should I say I need done? clean and inspection?
            If I need parts do you know of any good/cheaper places to buy from?

They should have a source actually... Most shops that do this kind of work order per part spec (size/shape of the part, not nessasarily the brand of application).

I would tell them your concerns and explain what you know needs to be done. Ask them to discuss with you what else might need to be checked and the costs. Generally speaking, they should be able to explain it simply and give you good advice. Terms they may discuss... "Checking for true or bent valves", "replacement of the valve guides", and or "Lapping the valves".

Krey
            93 750 Kat

Comment

Ok , sounds straight enough. I know the shop does mostly local racers, not usually motorcycles though. Think that will hurt the price, I mean a heads a head it's not like I'm looking for a high compression monster.

I'm still wondering if there's anything I can do or try before I go tearing off the head, any other suggestions?
              Last edited by Samuraiace; 06-28-2012, 12:30 AM.

Comment

Will I be able to pull my head without dropping the engine? I have a 97 600

Comment

i would drop the motor(hinge down) for ease of working on it.

Comment

Just curious to know why you think a valve is stuck? Over-rev? If the stem is bent, then that could cause some additional damage - like wiping out the cam lobe. I am guessing you've taken the valve cover off and rolled the engine over to check?
                    2006 Katana 750 - Daily therapy
                    2005 ZZR1200 - Weekend therapy

Comment

The problem was that the #4 cylinder wasn't getting the header hot, so I pulled the exhaust. When I looked in I turned the engine and noticed that one of the valves wasn't moving. I know it could be bent but I figure the bikes been sitting for over 10 years it might just be gummed up. This is all pre thread before I hit it this weekend.

Comment

This is all pre thread before I hit it this weekend.
                        no don't use a hammer to get the valve cover off.:bunny2

Comment

You really need to pull the valve cover first and check. I don't think it would be possible for one valve to not be moving, unless something is bent or broken. See what you can find out first, before deciding on a course of action.

Comment

Well my manuals in the mail so I have a little time before I get cracking on her. I agree I'll Pull the cover tonight. I figure 10 years worth of sitting so the covers need to come off any ways.

I'll try not to use the hammer...so tempted

Comment

I ended up finding a broker rocker arm on Badfaerie's 750 engine swap we bought. It was on the number 2 intake side. Pulled the head, had it inspected... never found an issue that would have caused it specifically, but the head was fine and so was the valves. New rocker arm installed and it's running great.

Krey
                              93 750 Kat

Comment

Working...
                              X