X

CRAP! Need help. Oil leak

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CRAP! Need help. Oil leak

I have a 99 Katana that I have been working on for about a year. I have had to rebuild carbs, leak down test, rebuild carbs, clean tank, rebuild carbs, and so forth. Well, I had a slight drip coming from what appeared to be the oil gallery seal (on the kick stand side of the bike, all the way to the forward of bottom of the engine. There is on behind the frame rail and another in front of that. That is the plug in question. I believe the leak is coming from a crack that some idiot created by torquing the plug down to tight. Any advise.

fyi, the crack is at the six o'clock position when looking face on at the plug.

Please tell me that all the hours spent weren't wasted..........

Picture would help.

Is it one of the plugs in the oil pan?
    -2000 "750"

Comment

pictures attached

Please find pictures attached.....

Notice in the picture without the flash of the exhaust manifold and close-up of the gallery plug. Just above the weld on the exhaust manifold is the crack in the plug housing.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by kg03; 06-12-2012, 09:37 PM. Reason: added commentary

Comment

Originally posted by kg03 View Post
        Please find pictures attached.....

Notice in the picture without the flash of the exhaust manifold and close-up of the gallery plug. Just above the weld on the exhaust manifold is the crack in the plug housing.
        If it's cracked, I'd say new/used oil pan.

Comment

I see a drip in one of the pics. Two choices..... a) get a wrench/key and give it a snug
          b) replace the O-ring..... and wrench a bit. It shouldn't be too bad.
          sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
          ------------------------------------------
          89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
          96 YZF 1000R

Comment

What they said.. A crack there would be an oil pan and not your block, so your effort wouldn't be wasted. I'd back it out (oil will drain it out a lot), clean it off, check o-ring (maybe order new one now), and reinstall.

Even then be sure it is coming from that spot. Oil leaks can travel around and appear to be places they aren't. You'll want to wipe it down clean so spotting the origin of the leak is easier. Maybe you have already done this but the next guy who hasn't might come along and read this.

Good luck
            -2000 "750"

Comment

I would make sure the 2 oil lines above that plug are tight. Those might be to blame and the oil might be running down to that spot in the picture. Either way, hope you figure it out.
              Check my garage for current pic and upgrades

My build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=127457

Comment

Appreciate the responses. There is a crack in the housing at the 6:00 position under the plug. It can be seen in the second pic w/o the flash. But, taking all the responses into consideration, does anyone have a used oil pan, unscathed?

Comment

Clean everything off really well and then see if the oil comes back, and verify the source. That spot just happens to be a low point on the motor... no telling where exactly the oil is coming from.
                  -Steve

sigpic
                  Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                  Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

it is coming from the crack. Does anyone have a used pan for a '99 600f.

Comment

I had an issue finding one.. When I did find one that was (in great shape) I got it and the drain plug was stripped out... Maybe have someone weld it?
                      Check my garage for current pic and upgrades

My build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=127457

Comment

Working...
                      X