X

Wanted: Oversized Oil Filter???

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wanted: Oversized Oil Filter???

Ok, since I am putting all this money into my 99 GSX600F Katana, and it will probably cost me more than the bike by the time that I am done(but worth it, keeps me out of trouble and spread out over the next 3 years). I would like to find an oversized oil filter for extra capacity and cleaning ability. Has any one found one and if so which ones?. CyberPoet relayed a fact that I didn't know about the OEM filter and the 3 oil changes.
    This is what I know so far:

Principal Application: Suzuki Engs. (Motorcycles, Snowmobiles)
    All Applications
    Style: Spin-On Lube Filter
    Service: Lube
    Type: Full Flow
    Media: Paper
    Height: 2.782
    Outer Diameter Top: 2.685
    Outer Diameter Bottom: Closed
    Thread Size: 20X1.0 MM
    By-Pass Valve Setting-PSI: 8-11
    Anti-Drain Back Valve: Yes
    Burst Pressure-PSI: 250
    Max Flow Rate: 9-11
    Nominal Micro Rating: 13

Gasket Diameters
    Number O.D. I.D. Thk.
    Attached 2.475 2.173 0.233

All the comparisons I come across are are all from 5+ yrs ago.
    An Ole man once said:"It is better to be thought a fool because of silence, than to open ones mouth and remove all doubt"

(A) Suzuki carries more than a single filter, although many of their bikes share common filters.
    (B) The filters are built by Toyo Roki as OEM for Suzuki.
    (C) There are a variety of other filters on the market, including steel-mesh based filters (less drag, but less filtration IMHO -- I can see thru the pores), and paper based filters.
    (D) I think the crucial issues are the filtration size (absolute) and the pressure relief spring assembly (once you get past obvious poor designs like crap glue and paper end-caps).
    (E) The Suzuki SACS system uses a high-volume, low-pressure feed on the oil filter. Thus, I don't think physical size is really all that paramount (as long as tons of oil are flowing through it, would a bigger filter actually do anything better in our case?).
    (F) In theory, you could relocate the filter and use any size filter you wanted, but I think that would be overboard.

IMHO: The best filters on the market for any bike are generally sold under that bike's label (in our case, the Toyo Roki filter under the Suzuki label) -- because you know that if there is any damage related to failure of the filter, it will be covered by the manufacturer of your bike. You also know that filter has been specifically engineered for your particular application.

Cheers,
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
    X