X

16T front sproket on a 600.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 16T front sproket on a 600.

Looking for thoughts on putting a 16T front sprocket on a post kat 600. I took mine in and they put a 14T instead of a 15T on the bike (stupid dealer) when I had the chain and sprockets changed. Sense Ive only put on 600 miles I figure I can just change the front sprocket. I was going to just buy a 15 but all of my riding is highway miles and I have two large trips coming up and would like to kick the rmps down from 6800 at 75mph and gain some top speed as well as gas milage. Any comments, concerns?

The sprocket cover will need to be modified to fit a 16 tooth sprocket
    1992- project katfighter
    2005- GSXR750
    2001- TL1000R
    http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=111130
    www.lunchtimecigar.com

KATRIDERS RALLY 2014 - cintidude04
    KATRIDERS RALLY 2015 - cintidude04
    KATRIDERS RALLY 2016 - cintidude04

Comment

Well that kills that idea, how about changing the rear? I could change the 14t to a 15t (like it should be) and the rear 45 like the 750, or is it even worth it? Or will simply changing the 14t to the stock 15 make a difference? When I bought the bike they changed the chain and sprokets so I never had a chance to ride the bike with a 15t on the front.

Comment

I would go stock 15/47. I wouldn't go down from stock on the rear personally. You can but I don't think there will be much benefit, mostly just notice a slower bike.
        1992- project katfighter
        2005- GSXR750
        2001- TL1000R
        http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=111130
        www.lunchtimecigar.com

KATRIDERS RALLY 2014 - cintidude04
        KATRIDERS RALLY 2015 - cintidude04
        KATRIDERS RALLY 2016 - cintidude04

Comment

I'd be hitting the dealer up to correct his error on the front sprocket.

A 45T rear sprocket will drop your revs from 6800 to about 6500, so it's not really a huge difference at highway speeds and it will give you a slightly slower launch. My 750 is geared to pull around 4800RPM @ 75 MPH (true speed). It's great on the open road but a bit of a pig in town - a compromise I like. Not sure how a 600 would handle a smaller rear sprocket, but it would be a shame to waste the brand new sprocket you just bought to find out. (You certainly wouldn't recoup the cost of the sprocket in saved fuel.)

Comment

thanks for the info. Ill just get the 15t front and a 60t back so I can do some stunting! Than again I suppose my newborn baby and wife would like me to stick around so I guess Ill just get the 15t.

Comment

Working...
            X