X

Oil, Oil, Oil Everywhere

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil, Oil, Oil Everywhere

Okay I need my true Katana experts on this one.

My 99 GSXF 600 is leaking oil but I dont know where. I taken the fairings completely off, washed it down and then rode down to the liquor store. By the time I came out the liquor store there was at least 4 -5 soda cap full of oil on the ground. I looked under since it was recently clean and saw the left side was wet but when I went to the right side there were little droplets of oil on the bottom of the stator. I recently had my carbs clean(washed off) by a mechanic, so I dont know what the heck is going on. I need some help figuring this one out.

Personally, I believe its a gasket but which one is the question? Truly I should just replace them all.

I link where I took some pictures maybe someone will notice something that will help me fix this dang leaking oil.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/babythu...7629601287533/
    Respect the Kat!

So it's mostly on the chain side? Take off the sprocket cover an see if the seal around the shifter shaft is still good.
    1992- project katfighter
    2005- GSXR750
    2001- TL1000R
    http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=111130
    www.lunchtimecigar.com

KATRIDERS RALLY 2014 - cintidude04
    KATRIDERS RALLY 2015 - cintidude04
    KATRIDERS RALLY 2016 - cintidude04

Comment

Clean her off again and crank her up in the driveway. As soon as you see any leakage shut her down and follow the oil up to the highest point. There's your trouble spot.
      Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
      HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

If only happened after a carb service ... valve cover breather hose not connected??? But should only dump that much oil if over-filled. Fix it before riding - left turns must be interesting.

Comment

did they by chance do a valve inspection too with that carb cleaning ? if so might be one of the oil lines that goes to the valve cover on the top.
          2015 BMW S1000R

Comment

Originally posted by Wild-Bill View Post
            Clean her off again and crank her up in the driveway. As soon as you see any leakage shut her down and follow the oil up to the highest point. There's your trouble spot.
            +1
            in most cases of driving conditions
            the oil must travel backwards and down

use a piece of kleenex or toilet paper because the wet shows up right away
            Blood , its in you to give! http://www.blood.ca/

Comment

Originally posted by mammut89 View Post
              did they by chance do a valve inspection too with that carb cleaning ? if so might be one of the oil lines that goes to the valve cover on the top.

+1 Even if they didn't do a valve job, they might have pulled on one of those lines and caused a leak. They run between the carbs and the engine.

Take the seat and tank off so you can look into the top of the engine compartment and see if you see oil up there.

Krey
              93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

All good advice above. I had this happen to me once on my Kat (at a dealership no less!) and I hope it's not your problem...... but the mechanic over-torqued my oil drain plug and he managed to crack the oilpan. They came good for damages, but I was more than a little pizzed and haven't dealt with them since.
                sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
                ------------------------------------------
                89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
                96 YZF 1000R

Comment

Also check the plugs on the side of the motor right inside the frame rails. I bought a used motor b4 and someone loosened them. I never noticed until riding soon after wondering where oil was coming from and why it was smoking. Luckily the frame rails stopd it from backing all the way out or I'da been buyn some new ones and dropn the motor to reinstall them...

Comment

Thanks everyone for your input... I am going to follow all leads...I let you know what happens in a day or so.
                    Respect the Kat!

Comment

Okay so a month later I have some bad news and some bad news.

It turns out that I need an engine...UUUUUHHHHH.
                      I finally took it to my mechanic who said something about the piston and it becoming smaller making oil leak into the engine and why it is smoke coming out the pipe. Then, the knocking could be a loose cam or something or a bolt that has come off of something...all and all it will cost $1200 in parts or I could buy I another engine....

I am not rich, so where do I get another engine from...Right now my baby is for sale on Craigslist because its just sitting... waiting for someone to fix it .... what a dilemma what do I do?

Respect the Kat!

Comment

Sorry to hear it. Hit the local craigslist or better yet, use www.searchtempest.com to check all over your local area.
                        Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                        HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Thanks I like that searchtempest.com site....It shows everything in one place...I have searched all over Craigslist...I am even watching a few on ebay but...no way to tell if they will be any good...

Originally posted by Wild-Bill View Post
                          Hit the local craigslist or better yet, use www.searchtempest.com to check all over your local area.
                          Found this in Deltona which is about 1 1/2 outside of Jax, Fl

Think we might be in luck...thanks again Wild Bill...
                          Last edited by Mz. Stunna; 04-11-2012, 03:35 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                          Respect the Kat!

Comment

If it helps with the search you could look for 98-06 750 engines as well, it will fit your frame too.

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Comment

Thanks...I forgot about that...that actually will be nice to have an upgraded engine on a 600.
                              Respect the Kat!

Comment

Working...
                              X