X

overheat ???

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• overheat ???

hello,i have a 05 750kat i love it.i was told that it will overheat easy.i know what you are thinking "overheat its winter"but i live in south texas and when we left due to hurricane rita i started to take it but i was worried about it overheatting.due to stop and go-stop and go-stop and go traffic.do they overheat easy?it does get pretty hot hear around 90 to 100 and very humid in the summer.and is there anything i can do to help it stay cool?

It gets pretty toasty here in KC during the summer and I have yet to have a problem of my 750 overheating. You just need to make sure you don't have to sit in standing traffic for more than 15-20 minutes straight. If it comes to that, just pull over and wait it out, or do like I do and RIDE THE SHOULDER!!!!!
    You can have my Kat when you pry my cold dead butt from upon it.

Comment

My Kat gets cranky here in Austin...
      Stop and go is hard on an air/oil bike.
      But save adding fans not too much you can do

Comment

I'm a little further south and I've never had a problem. Anything can overheat under the right, er wrong, conditions, but in normal use I wouldn't worry about it. Even when riding with buddies on new gixxers in heavy traffic they were worried about their high temps and one even shut off, but no probs with the kat. My engine was de-sleeved to a 750 and still had the 600 cooler. We don't have temp guages and if I hadn't gotten another bike I was going to get one of CP's guages to monitor the temp. Otherwise under reasonable operation I wouldn't worry about it. Among other things to check, make sure the oil cooler fins are clean, the oil is full and fresh and just riiiiide. 8) 8) 8)
        '01 TL1000R

Comment

if your really worried about it - the california model had fans on the oil cooler. i'm sure you could fab a braket and mount a general purpose fan.

if i lived in the south & was in standing traffic alot i'd add a fan. the use of a high quality synth oil will also help.

contact cyberpoet he was engineering an oil temp guage.

tim

Comment

Originally posted by trinc
            the california model had fans on the oil cooler.
            You could buy the California fan from any parts vendor, and retrofit to a 49-state bike.

The oil cooler fan only runs after the engine is shut off. But it wouldn't be hard to add a manual switch in parallel to run it whenever you like. Just be sure to turn off the manual switch when you shut off the engine, so you don't drain the battery while you're parked.

Maybe this sender could also provide input for a thermostat fan switch?

Comment

if your really worried about it - the california model had fans on the oil cooler.
              tim
              Actually the fan wasn't on the cooler..

EDIT..
              My bad.. It runs while off that was it..

:

Comment

thanks to all.where was this fan mounted if not on the cooler?and would it really help?

Comment

The fan is a Cali-only fan . It doesn't actually cool the engine , and it only runs when the bike is off . It blows across the carbs . But many people remove them , and some people mount them to their radiators with a switch .
                  I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

MD86 covered the fan -- yes, it blows across the carb bowls as a way of reducing pollution (help keep fuel from boiling off from the engine heat after shut-down). It can be rigged behind the oil cooler, but with only limited effectiveness.

I sell all-weather/open cockpit oil temp gauges for the Kats that will keep you in the know about the oil temp. These are a god-send if you tend to push the bike hard and ride in hot weather (I'm in Florida and do). PM me if you want one (complete kit, including gauge, sender, etc).

The biggest advice is simply to use high quality motor oils designed specifically for motorcycle engines, preferably ones with fairly high vaporization temps and strong HTHS (high-temp high-stress) values. The highest vaporization temps on any suitable motor oil that I know of is Mobil 1 VTwin (20w50) which clocks in just a hair under 500 degrees. Also note that not all oils absorb & shed heat at the same rate; I could easily tell the difference between Castrol's ACT/Evo and Castrol's GPS motor oils from the heat coming through the opening in the upper fairing above the oil cooler when I first switched (the GPS carried heat off much better, making for more heat rising off the bike at traffic lights).

If you want to get technically complicated, you can get the oil cooler from a larger engine'd oil-cooled suzuki motorcycle and graft it on (such as using the 750 cooler on a 600, or an 1100 cooler on a 750), but it will require that you cut the lower tabs that are welded on your frame and relocate them downward to support the longer oil cooler, plus recoating your frame to prevent rust.

Cheers
                    =-= The CyberPoet
                    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

if your really worried about it - the california model had fans on the oil cooler. i'm sure you could fab a braket and mount a general purpose fan.

if i lived in the south & was in standing traffic alot i'd add a fan. the use of a high quality synth oil will also help.

tim
                      Do the Pre 98 cali bikes also have the fan?
                      91 Kat 600
                      02 B12 S
                      03 YFM660RR
                      00 TRX 250D

Comment

Originally posted by NitrousGuy
                        I believe so.

Cheers,
                        =-= The CyberPoet
                        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

SUPPOSED to . If it don't , someone took it out .
                          I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Originally posted by NitrousGuy
                            My California neighbor's 96 750 (which I'm about to buy) has the fan.

Comment

i thought the fan was on the carbs to keep gas from evaporating on cali models. you could always add a fan to the cooler if you thought it was needed but i'd be willing to bet suzuki's engineers took this into account and decided it wasn't needed.
                              '03 Yamaha FZ1

Comment

Working...
                              X