X

Tranny Help!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tranny Help!

Hey there, this is my first bike that ive ever fixed up and im proud to say that its a 95 katana 600!

Ive been trying to get it started and i just recently rebuilt the starter. I bench tested it to see if it spun and it passed the test. After reinstalling it i tried to start the bike up but only got a clicking noise from the starter relay. I can hear the starter trying to turn the engine over but without any success. Ive tried to bypass the relay and send voltage straight to the starter, but it still couldn't turn it over.

I took the crank case off to try and turn it over by hand to make sure it wasnt seized. It turned over so i know that wasnt the problem. I did notice, however, that the bike wouldnt go into neutral and it only goes through 2 gears. I have a hunch that because the bike is stuck in gear, its too much of a load on the starter so the bike wont start.

Anyone have any ideas?

Hold in the clutch to rule out a tranny issue?

Comment

Sorry we dont deal with sexual exploration issues on this forum.
      Well, not usually.
      1992- project katfighter
      2005- GSXR750
      2001- TL1000R
      http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=111130
      www.lunchtimecigar.com

KATRIDERS RALLY 2014 - cintidude04
      KATRIDERS RALLY 2015 - cintidude04
      KATRIDERS RALLY 2016 - cintidude04

Comment

Originally posted by 05RedKat600 View Post
        Hold in the clutch to rule out a tranny issue?
        yeah, i kept the clutch depressed with a ziptie while i cranked the engine

Comment

Um, did you actually ride the bike? SMT don't like to shift gears while not moving...
          90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
          I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
          Originally posted by soulless kaos
          but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

How many starters have you rebuilt? It sounds to me like something isn't right in there
            Need those hard to find crush washers for the bottom end of your forks? PM me, i've got plenty

News from my latest doctors appointment "It's not a psychotic break, it's a psychotic fracture."

Scars are tattoos with better stories

Comment

Originally posted by 5forty2 View Post
              How many starters have you rebuilt? It sounds to me like something isn't right in there
              Yeah, it sounds like the batteries dead.

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
                Yeah, it sounds like the batteries dead.

Comment

Originally posted by 5forty2 View Post
                  This is my first one. I put it all back together correctly. Like I said, this is my first bike and I'm new to all of the work that I'm doing on the bike.

Originally posted by scottynoface View Post
                  Um, did you actually ride the bike? SMT don't like to shift gears while not moving...
                  No, not yet, but shouldn't a bike at least be able to shot into neutral while not moving?
                  Last edited by mattalica5390; 02-16-2012, 11:48 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Originally posted by mattalica5390 View Post
                    This is my first one. I put it all back together correctly. Like I said, this is my first bike and I'm new to all of the work that I'm doing on the bike.
                    Joo gots a weak battery. Try a different one or charge it well. Check the voltage at the battery with the key off, Key on, and start button depressed. It should be above 10 volts at all times.

Key off, 12.5 or more, Key on 12 or more. Any less and it's dead.

Comment

Originally posted by 05RedKat600 View Post
                      Joo gots a weak battery. Try a different one or charge it well. Check the voltage at the battery with the key off, Key on, and start button depressed. It should be above 10 volts at all times.

Key off, 12.5 or more, Key on 12 or more. Any less and it's dead.
                      Thanks, i have the battery charging in the garage right now :bunny2

Comment

Sometimes just charging a dead battery doesn't do anything. You may need to replace it.

Comment

But is it a problem that my bike won't go into neutral? I looked at my service manual and it doesn't say anything about it.

Comment

You sure it won't go into neutral or just going by what the light tells you? Might be a bent shift fork. Try rocking it back and forth while trying to shift it.

Comment

No, until the engine is running don't try to shift. It tends to not do squat.

Comment

Working...
                              X