X

tail light bulb

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tail light bulb

hey, i'm still pretty new to DIY on motorcycle so I was hoping someone would be able to tell me what kind of bulb to use in the tail light of a 92 katana 600 or where to look for that answer. thanks.

It takes a 12V21/5W bulb. Easy find at your local parts store or probably even Walmart.

Comment

i think it might be a 1257 or which ever is the dual fillament or it might be 1157

“Programming today is a race between software engineers stirring to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.”

Comment

Standard atuomotive brake light, dual filament, dual lead on the bottom, type 1157. You can find them in any auto parts store, all walmart/target/kmart, and most gas stations/drug stores/grocery stores/etc.

Cheers
        =-= The CyberPoet
        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

or there's this-

1157-PCB-R36 Red LED lamp
          12VDC 1157 Base (dual intensity) with 1-1/2 square LED cluster
          36 Red LED lamp designed for restricted access and right angle applications
          Wide 100 degree beam pattern
          $ 9.95
          $10 each, might be able to fit two or three in the taillight... dunoo i haven't measured yet.

Shop our vast selection of LED boat lights, marine lights, boat spotlights, deck lights, and underwater lights. Free and same-day shipping on qualifying orders.

unfortunately the pre-98 Kats only have one bulb in back... don't know about the newer bikes.

i had my tailight go out on me once, on a dark back road.. not a fun night.
          KLR 650, KLR 250, Beta TR 32 trials bike, Katana 600, BMW R65, Tundra V8 4x4

Comment

Originally posted by fixer
            unfortunately the pre-98 Kats only have one bulb in back... don't know about the newer bikes.
            98 - 02 have 1 bulb; 03+ have two bulbs in the tail light. Simple way to tell:
            Bumblebee style cone rear lens takes one bulb... The newer rear lens style takes 2.

Words of caution on LED's:
            Although LED's are highly visible from directly behind the bike, many are dimmer at off-angles and in running-light mode (when the brake light isn't on). I replaced my rear bulb with a 48-LED mod about a year and a half ago -- I'm getting ready to return to the standard (incandenscent) bulb in the near future because of visibility. At the time I switched to the 48-LED bulb, I had already gone through 8 different LED bulbs to compare them to stock, and none of the others had been brighter. Sooner or later, someone will build an LED brake bulb that uses the large-scale LED's (the square ones used in extreme high-power applications, like certain semi-truck lights). Meanwhile, I'm taking the brightest option available for my own safety.

Cheers
            =-= The CyberPoet
            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
              Words of caution on LED's:
              Although LED's are highly visible from directly behind the bike, many are dimmer at off-angles and in running-light mode
              While I totally agree with cyber's thoughts on visability,
              I am planning to improve my LED mod, one note:

Pre 98 750s have very little side visability on the tail light as is.
              (maybe a 3/16" strip?)
              Swapping to a properly designed LED rear light will improve
              this bikes visability. I have 9 LEDS for running (brighter than stock)
              and 29 for the brakes (also brighter)
              But I think I'm going to build the next one with 16 LEDs for running and
              40 for stop.

Comment

got it changed out. thanks everyone.

Comment

Working...
                X