• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intake Boot Issues

Here is a little background first.

'88 1127 (GSXF not GSXR)
    Pre 750 carbs (Arsenic cleaned)
    Stock post 750 electrical system (working just fine in April/May)
    OEM Airbox/filter

I've gotten to the point of finally getting this thing running and as expected I have run into some problems. It will start but "runs" pretty bad. Not all cylinders are firing all the time and it only stays running on full choke. Anything less and it dies. Since the electrical system was working just fine on the bike before I think I can cross it off the list. Since they are asenic carbs, I think I can cross dirty pilot circuit off the list. That leaves compression and air.

A cold compression test tonight gave me values of 150, 150, 132, 141. Given they are cold numbers, I suspect that compression is good enough.

Next is air. Stock airbox and new OEM filter so off to a good start. The next air factor would be vac leaks. I am using old (kind of hard) intake boots. No visible cracks (ok some small ones out by the bolts, but not where it matters) but hard. Similar story on the airbox side. Those aren't near as hard, but certainly not nice and supple. I tried doing the "spray carb cleaner" test while it was running and didn't notice anything, but it was running so bad that I don't really trust the test.

Another issue I think I may have is regarding the alignment of the intake boots. During this process I discovered that the carb spacing of pre and post carbs are not equal. So I got some pre 750 boots from 542 (thanks btw) and put these on the 1127. Well, the alignment on the head is not very good. I didnt take notice at the time of installation, but now I'm thinking it could be a problem. Here are some pics:

The o-ring does sit on the machined face, but in some spots it does overhang the edges a bit. I know this isnt a good thing, but I also cant think of an easy fix.

I read somewhere that certain early year 1127 engines ran 36mm carbs. I'm thinking that maybe those will fit the head better and still have the spacing of pre carbs.

As far as the poor running my suspicion is that some massive air leaks are causing some of the cylinders to fire, but only on full choke. (Plugs range from slightly wet to very wet - again taking the pilot circuit out of the equation).

Im open to some input/questions..
    -2000 "750"

I've been doing a lot of intake boot swapping lately for the efi swap. It looks like they are mounted wrong. I know if you take off, lets say boot #1, and flip it around it will bolt in like that all cockeyed. But if you take #1 an swap it with say #4 it will be orientated correctly.
    Don't know if you've tried that yet, but worth a shot.
    1992- project katfighter
    2005- GSXR750
    2001- TL1000R
    http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=111130
    www.lunchtimecigar.com

KATRIDERS RALLY 2014 - cintidude04
    KATRIDERS RALLY 2015 - cintidude04
    KATRIDERS RALLY 2016 - cintidude04

Comment

Originally posted by cintidude04 View Post
      I've been doing a lot of intake boot swapping lately for the efi swap. It looks like they are mounted wrong. I know if you take off, lets say boot #1, and flip it around it will bolt in like that all cockeyed. But if you take #1 an swap it with say #4 it will be orientated correctly.
      Don't know if you've tried that yet, but worth a shot.
      I agree, those boots are way off for that to be how they are supposed to be.

Comment

Yeah, that's not right. Step 1 - swap them around until they at least mostly match up to the head. Those aren't even close.
        Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

I agree, try turning them upside down and backwards. It's not obvious but there is a slight offset.
          Get over yourself. For me to think you are an idiot, I would first need to think of you.

sigpic

Comment

I'll give that another try tknight. Tried a little last night but I am sure there are some more combinations yet..

Since I am also concerned with the hardness now, I'm thinking that new boots made for this engine at 36mm is the ticket. SHOULD have proper spacing and proper alignment... Some searching last night said that some gsxr versions around 90-92 came with 36's before moving to 38mm.

If thats true then that seems like the most ideal option, no?

I'll give that another try tknight. Tried a little last night but I am sure there are some more combinations yet..

Since I am also concerned with the hardness now, I'm thinking that new boots made for this engine at 36mm is the ticket. SHOULD have proper spacing and proper alignment... Some searching last night said that some gsxr versions around 90-92 came with 36's before moving to 38mm.

If thats true then that seems like the most ideal option, no?
            Last edited by Cheriff; 10-06-2011, 08:45 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
            -2000 "750"

Comment

The 90-92 has 38mm carbs, except CA. The 88-89 had 36mm.

Comment

The boots also have a position, 1-4 and need to be the correct boot for the cylinder position, as well as the correct up/down orientation.

Are you using 'any old oring' or the correct o-ring? That will also make a difference.

I found RTV on the boot surface to add no value it didn't seal well enough.

I think that one in your picture, is for cyl #2 based on reverse fiche lookup.

Use the part numbers to figure out what goes where.
                Last edited by steves; 10-06-2011, 09:50 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                -Steve

sigpic
                Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Up is pointing up, and I did check part numbers for position. Will look again tonight when I get home. Last night I tried swapping 1&4 in both the same orientation and upside down and nothing was better.

O-rings are new btw
                  Last edited by Cheriff; 10-06-2011, 10:09 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                  -2000 "750"

Comment

Well, that looks like 13110-17C00 on your number #1. It takes a little back tracking, but that comes up as the intake boot for a #2 1997 750.
                    -Steve

sigpic
                    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                    Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

I'll confirm in 6 hours.. I'll be quite happy if that's it. Know I checked, thought I ws careful, but **** happens. Thanks for the help everyone
                      -2000 "750"

Comment

Boot Numbers:

13110-17C0 -cylinder 1
                        13120-17C0 -cylinder 2
                        13130-17C0 -cylinder 3
                        13140-17C0 -cylinder 4

I must be doing something wrong.. 13110-17C0 in reverse look up doesn't find anything for me..

:headscratch.. #2 on 1997 750 looks like 13102-17C01 on Ron Ayers. What am I missing?
                        Last edited by Cheriff; 10-06-2011, 05:11 PM.
                        -2000 "750"

Comment

The search I found said that those are all 1990/1991 GSXR 750 boots....are those what you wanted? Might explain the odd alignment issues. Don't you need Pre-Katana 750 boots?
                          Last edited by 05RedKat600; 10-06-2011, 05:14 PM.

Comment

Yes. I did get them from someone else, so I cant say I ordered them myself... But I did order one of them since one was cracked...

I took boot #4 and tried it right-side up and upside-down on every cylinder.. Nothing lined up. I then compared these boots to my original post 750 boots and '88 34mm boots and both of those line up properly. Both the post 750 boots and the '88 34mm boots have their mounting holes fairly close in line with the center of the intake. The boots I have now are not that way.
                            -2000 "750"

Comment

Yeah, the only info I found was on a French website that listed that part number as 1990/1991 GSXR 750 boots. I'd say you got the wrong ones there.

Comment

Working...
                              X