Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Just put my carbs back in and now i get a backfire and idle at 7500rpms!!!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just put my carbs back in and now i get a backfire and idle at 7500rpms!!!

I just got finished puttin back in my carbs, everything has been cleaned and is back in properly, it took me about 5 minutes to get it started and it is idling at 7500 rpms! And when i shut it off it backfired, not afterfire, but a BACKFIRE! Crazy loud like a shotgun!
    What in the world could the problem be? It smells like it is running really rich! Please help!!! Thanks

Ok so i messed up and put the choke cable in the wrong hole and it was pulling too much....i fixed it but now i am still running at bout 4500rpms.....will adjusting the a/f screws help this?
    The throttle adjuster screw isnt even touching the throttle so that wont do nothing but open it up more if i screw it in right?

Comment

Obviously everything is not back in properly.

The high idle is because your carb boots arent sealed or because you rerouted the throttle cable incorrectly.
      90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
      I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
      Originally posted by soulless kaos
      but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

I'm gonna bet the sync is way off too and may have something to do with it...

Krey
        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Everything WAS installed correctly....i visually synced it on the bench....but i ended up pulling the tank and syncing it just by sound, i got it down to 2-2500 rmps now and seems to be running a lot smoother, bout to take her for a test drive and see how it does. This is only temporary until my parts come in so i am not too worried about syncing it perfect, just need it to run right now! lol Thanks for the advice guys.

Comment

You gotta vacuum sync. Syncing by ear is not sufficient. Trust me on that.

Comment

Originally posted by 05RedKat600 View Post
              Yeah, trust him on this...

(What movie, anyone?)

I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
              but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Originally posted by 05RedKat600 View Post
                No i do not have a vacuum sync...is that the same as a carb sync? If so when my parts come in i am getting it all done right...

So here is the deal....it was runnin like sh*t, i drove about 15 mile, it was overheating and idling at about 6000, everytime i hit the clutch to shift gears it would rev to about 9000....it sat for about 2 hrs, and is now running better than ever! Idling about 1700, shifting perfect, sounds clean and loud, just perfect! i dont get it!

Comment

why are you asking questions when the job is not complete ?

get your parts. get it synced . then if it still has a problem ask your questions. everytime you ask something you get an answer and you reply with "im going to do that later" well get it done already
                  2015 BMW S1000R

Comment

Originally posted by mammut89 View Post
                    why are you asking questions when the job is not complete ?

get your parts. get it synced . then if it still has a problem ask your questions. everytime you ask something you get an answer and you reply with "im going to do that later" well get it done already
                    I ask questions to find out answers....I seem to get several answers about the same issue so obviously someone is wrong, or everyone is right and there is another issue that can be taken care of before i sync it.
                    And for the most part my questions never really get answered. I keep getting told to vacuum sync it and carb sync it....yet I have asked at least 4 different times in threads, "how many vacuum lines are there and where are they located at?" and also, "Is vacuum syncing the same as carb syncing?"
                    If people would worry about helping people instead of complaining that they have to explain something to someone, then a lot more would get done!

As of last week I couldnt tell you what a carburetor even was, and thanks to the help from people on the website, i can properly dismantle and reassemble damn near my entire bike correctly....But i am still learning, so either try answer my questions or dont waste your time with your smart a** comments! Thanks

Comment

A lot more would get done? You mean like an entire WIKI dedicated to the Kat that has answers to everything you are asking about?

Comment

I think what Mo is saying is that you are asking steps a head when the steps you have been given might fix your problem.

Some of the questions you haven't gotten an answer for is because it's hard to answer without sounding condescending. For example, syncing your carbs is adjusting each one to the specific vacuum for the cylinder. The vacuum is created by the piston lowering as the intake valve opens pulling air and fuel through the carb body into the engine. It has nothing to do with vacuum lines and replying that there is only one vacuum line, the one between the carbs and the petcock that controls the fuel, doesn't give you any good information to work with.

Other questions, would be answered by reading the service manual, a digital copy of which can be found in the Wiki. However, many of your questions are even more basic and relate to how internal combustion engines work in general. These are better answered by going to the How Stuff Works website. It's a lot to ask folks here to take the time to educate you from ignorant (not an insult, a statement of fact) to competent with out you putting in some effort to at least get some of the basics down on your own. It's really hard to guide someone when they don't have any basis for understanding.
                        Get over yourself. For me to think you are an idiot, I would first need to think of you.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Badfaerie View Post
                          I think what Mo is saying is that you are asking steps a head when the steps you have been given might fix your problem.

Some of the questions you haven't gotten an answer for is because it's hard to answer without sounding condescending. For example, syncing your carbs is adjusting each one to the specific vacuum for the cylinder. The vacuum is created by the piston lowering as the intake valve opens pulling air and fuel through the carb body into the engine. It has nothing to do with vacuum lines and replying that there is only one vacuum line, the one between the carbs and the petcock that controls the fuel, doesn't give you any good information to work with.

Other questions, would be answered by reading the service manual, a digital copy of which can be found in the Wiki. However, many of your questions are even more basic and relate to how internal combustion engines work in general. These are better answered by going to the How Stuff Works website. It's a lot to ask folks here to take the time to educate you from ignorant (not an insult, a statement of fact) to competent with out you putting in some effort to at least get some of the basics down on your own. It's really hard to guide someone when they don't have any basis for understanding.
                          Much more eloquent than I was capable of this morning.

Comment

Originally posted by Badfaerie View Post

You da man, err...

Comment

Stock jets and airfilter?Were the floats not seating prior to the carb cleaning? If so is there gas in the oil? Are the floats set correctly? Did you follow carbs 101 to the tee?
                              Check my garage for current pic and upgrades

My build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=127457

Comment

Working...
                              X