X

My chain

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My chain

has rust on it. How can I get it off and what is the best way to lubricate it? Is WD40 ok? Chain lubes are too expensive. I need a cheap alternative.

Use Motor oil.

My chain is shot so in laziness (since it's toast anyway) the last 1000kms I've just been using motor oil on it. Chain was always clean since the oil flings off, and not a speck of rust on it since the oil kept the water away from the metal links.

BTW a bottle of chain lube and some kerosene for cleaning is less than $20, I only use about one bottle of chain lube a season so it's not a huge expense.
    Kyle

Comment

Get the rust off with nylon bristle brush and some kerosene, as well as any grime, crud, crap. Lube with your old used motor oil (the cheapest of all solutions), but be aware that you'll have to lube much more frequently and you'll get a lot of splatter on the rear rim because motor oil flings readily. I'd recommend adding oil at least every gas tankful for maximum chain life.

You can also try your local auto parts store -- many of them carry at least one bottle of chain lube in a humongo size cheaply.

Cheers
      =-= The CyberPoet
      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I just bought some of Pedro's Ice Wax for our mountain bikes' chains. Anyone heard of using Pedro's for motorcycle chains? Don't know if there would be any problems with it....might be a problem with heat and speed?
        Pedro's is supposed to lubricate the chain without attracting dirt and gunk and won't sling off. Would think it might work OK, mountain biking is pretty harsh on the equipment and Pedro's is reported to be the best.

Comment

This is what I am useing.

I figure the $9.00 I spend on the lube is much better than the over $100.00 I spent on a chain..

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Comment

Re: My chain

Originally posted by Zukiman
            has rust on it. How can I get it off and what is the best way to lubricate it? Is WD40 ok? Chain lubes are too expensive. I need a cheap alternative.
            If you wheelie alot the chain lube stays on better....
            Dude chain lube is like really cheap... get a grip..
            Maybe santa will bring you some..

Comment

is chain lube better than oil? my haynes manual says to use oil.
              What the deuce!?!

Comment

first, soak it in oil to loosen it up and then use this
                TDA Racing/Motorsports
                1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
                Who knows what is next?
                Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
                Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

Kerosene to clean the chain, as stated in the owners manual...you can get a gallon for about $6 at Home Depot or Lowes...

Then either PJ1 Blue Label chain oil, or Maxima chain wax...you can get either from almost every stealership, cost $5-9...Both are said to work well, depends on your environment where you live and personal preference...

Hasta amigos 8)

Comment

$20 chain lube, and $6 ga. Kerosene ..?
                    What is it? Is it a gourmet lube or exotic Kerosene...
                    I get a can of Champion O ring chain lube for $3 at Walmart, and a Ga. or Kerosene for $2.2 from the gas station.

Am I doing something wrong, or you guys are very rich..

Comment

Kerosene is hard to come by in some places , since they outlawed kerosene heaters .
                      And not all chain lube is equal . Some are better than others . But then , some people feel better about paying alot more , too .
                      I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

I'm glad someone else asked this since I just noticed some surface rust on my chain as well.
                        "You're going to learn to dicipline your image. You think I got where I am today because I dressed like Peter Pan here? Take a look at what I'm wearing people. You think anyone wants a roundhouse kick to the face while I'm wearing these bad boys? Forget about it."

Comment

Working...
                        X