X

Lull in 1st gear accel.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lull in 1st gear accel.

Hello all, Ive been lurking around the site ever since i bought my kat. shes a 06 600 and i like it alot more than my old bike(05 ninja 650). But after about a month of riding i have run into a problem. I sometimes like to accelerate vigourously and now there seems to be a lull in first gear. It pulls hard in front and after this lull so im not sure where to start. The bike only has about 5k on her and is in pretty good shape. I run at least 89 in her and she didnt do this when i first got her. It doesnt happen in any other gear. Im an automotive mechanic as my civilian job but im younger and have no idea what im doin with carbs. I have alot of tools at my disposal but i dont know where to start. Should i just take it in to a shop and have them work it out. I was planning on this but its nearing the end of the riding season here and i wanted to wait till the start of the next season. thanks in advanced!

Lull in acceleration....what RPM? Running anything other than 87 octane is a waste, FYI, unless you put the timing advancer on it.

Comment

Even with a timing advancer in it is better to very slightly adjust the af mix adjusters out then waste the money on more than 87. And yes I did a bit of testing on my bike to confirm this. Wouldn't bother with higher octane unless boosting compression.

To the OP, try running 87 and see if the lull goes away.
      1992- project katfighter
      2005- GSXR750
      2001- TL1000R
      http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=111130
      www.lunchtimecigar.com

KATRIDERS RALLY 2014 - cintidude04
      KATRIDERS RALLY 2015 - cintidude04
      KATRIDERS RALLY 2016 - cintidude04

Comment

If it's lower rpms only, the first thing I would check is a carb sync. If they are synced, then I would suggest since it's a new to you bike...

Pull the carbs, give them a full cleaning (check the wiki link for "carbs 102" for a how too on doing that).
        Check the valves for adjustment (not knowing when/if it's needed, good time to check now.)
        Put the carbs back on with the airbox attatched. Make sure the air filter is clean and properly seated. Make sure the drain tube on the bottom is plugged.
        Sync the carbs again.

Then report back.

Krey
        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

ok i will put in 87 today as i just entered the red on the gauge. The bike does it at around 7k at wot in only first gear. any way to get a semi-clean with out takin the carbs off? As soon as its too cold here im taking her in to get the "works" maint. inspection, oil change, poss new plugs , air filter, jetkit, new chain and sprockets. Also i have a question, when i got the bike the fairings were off and i rode it like that for a while until i sanded them down and painted them(orig owner laid it down) there is from what i assum as a vaccum box thats mounted on the front left side of the frame. it has a hose that looks like it goes into the head and a whole on the bottom of it with a nipple on it, if i cover the hole the tone of the engine changes. Is there supposed to be a hose on this nipple?

Comment

Originally posted by disturbedgator View Post
            ok i will put in 87 today as i just entered the red on the gauge. The bike does it at around 7k at wot in only first gear. any way to get a semi-clean with out takin the carbs off? As soon as its too cold here im taking her in to get the "works" maint. inspection, oil change, poss new plugs , air filter, jetkit, new chain and sprockets. Also i have a question, when i got the bike the fairings were off and i rode it like that for a while until i sanded them down and painted them(orig owner laid it down) there is from what i assum as a vaccum box thats mounted on the front left side of the frame. it has a hose that looks like it goes into the head and a whole on the bottom of it with a nipple on it, if i cover the hole the tone of the engine changes. Is there supposed to be a hose on this nipple?

Got a pic for the canister?

Also, at 5-8K the needle position is the primary point for performance. Do you have a jetkit installed or does the needle have just one slot for the eclip on it?

Krey
            Last edited by Kreylyn; 09-11-2011, 01:03 PM.
            93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
              Got a pic for the canister?

Also, at 5-8K the needle position is the primary point for performance. Do you have a jetkit installed or does the needle have just one slot for the eclip on it?

Krey
              ill have to take the fairing off on the left side to get a pic of it. As for the rest of it im guessing i have to take the carbs off or atleast the airbox to see what youre inquiring about? No jet kit that i know of, i did put an aftermarket exhaust on it about three weeks ago, its just a slip on and it ran fine with it for two weeks. should of known better than to listen to the company as it said no re-tune needed.

Comment

Originally posted by disturbedgator View Post
                ill have to take the fairing off on the left side to get a pic of it. As for the rest of it im guessing i have to take the carbs off or atleast the airbox to see what youre inquiring about? No jet kit that i know of, i did put an aftermarket exhaust on it about three weeks ago, its just a slip on and it ran fine with it for two weeks. should of known better than to listen to the company as it said no re-tune needed.

The needles are located in the top, so under the black cap on one of the carbs. Just take the cap off carefully, and pull the slide/diaphram out. The needle will be in it. Just need to confirm if it has more than 1 slot for the eclip, and if it does... how many.

Generally small changes can still give enough reason to re-tune the carbs, but at the same time... people and businesses will tell you you don't have too because the bike will start, will run, and will get you down the road. It may not do it at the best performance, but ... so many people like to stick with the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" mentality.

Krey
                93 750 Kat

Comment

thanks for you help fellas, 87 seemed to clear it right up. but im still planning on giving her the works this off season. any tips on where to find a good sprocket kit, you know one with better acceleration. What is 1 up 2 down or something like that

Comment

Actually, I'd recommend against going down in the front. Stick with stock 15 tooth. Go up in the rear 2-3 teeth, but that's me.

Comment

Originally posted by 05RedKat600 View Post
                      Actually, I'd recommend against going down in the front. Stick with stock 15 tooth. Go up in the rear 2-3 teeth, but that's me.

+1

I agree... keep the 15 front, always adjust the rear sprocket for reduced wear on the chain.

krey
                      93 750 Kat

Comment

Working...
                      X