X

Repair or replace: a front wheel interchange question

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Repair or replace: a front wheel interchange question

I am in the process of rehabilitating a 2000 600 Kat that I picked up a while ago. Cosmetically it's a bit rough, but the base mechanics seem OK (engine starts and runs, trans shifts, etc).

I noticed that the front tire didn't stay inflated for more than a day or so, so I pulled the front wheel off and looked for a leak (soapy water, find the bubbles kinda thing) and found a spot along the bead that looks like it's taken a pretty good hit -- the source of my leak!

I have heard of alloy wheels being repaired, but I think I'd rather replace it and was curious what my options were. Obviously I could find a 98-02 and be a direct fit (which I'd like to do) but it seems like Ebay sellers think they're made out of solid gold or something (~150-250 for Buy It Now prices and standard auctions starting at 90+). It looks like the pre-98 fronts go for much more reasonable prices but I don't know if it fits at all. Also, other models that fit are fine too but since searching here and via google doesn't appear to find much I'm guessing there isn't much direct wheel interchange.

Any input is appreciated!
    Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want and deserve to get it good and hard. --
    H. L. Mencken

Check the classified section here on KR. I'm sure someone is willing to part with an extra set for cheaper than fleabay.
    Current Bike: 2005 SV1000S K5 Red, 7,xxx miles, Hot Bodies Double Bubble Tinted Screen, Hot Bodies Fender Eliminator, Pirelli Diablo Rossi's, LED Flush Mounts, Front/Side/Rear Sliders, PC-III USB, K&N Air Filter, aTRE Mod, TechSpec Tank Grips, Solo Seat Cowl, Corbin Seat, HEL SS Brake/Clutch Lines.

Working on installing: TPS mod

Anyone who loves their bike uses Rotella T6!

Comment

Originally posted by Squisher View Post
      I am in the process of rehabilitating a 2000 600 Kat that I picked up a while ago. Cosmetically it's a bit rough, but the base mechanics seem OK (engine starts and runs, trans shifts, etc).

I noticed that the front tire didn't stay inflated for more than a day or so, so I pulled the front wheel off and looked for a leak (soapy water, find the bubbles kinda thing) and found a spot along the bead that looks like it's taken a pretty good hit -- the source of my leak!

I have heard of alloy wheels being repaired, but I think I'd rather replace it and was curious what my options were. Obviously I could find a 98-02 and be a direct fit (which I'd like to do) but it seems like Ebay sellers think they're made out of solid gold or something (~150-250 for Buy It Now prices and standard auctions starting at 90+). It looks like the pre-98 fronts go for much more reasonable prices but I don't know if it fits at all. Also, other models that fit are fine too but since searching here and via google doesn't appear to find much I'm guessing there isn't much direct wheel interchange.

Replace it.

Comment

Your options...

Fix the wheel.
        Replace with a 98-02 wheel for direct fit.
        Replace the entire front end (triple, forks, wheel, possibly brakes depending on your situation) with that of a different bike. 03-06 kat would be a direct bolt swap in and use your brakes. Or a GSXR front end, or something like that.
        replace the rim with something that will fit, but doesn't look the same. Pre kat front rims for example will bolt right in... but have a different spoke design.

Krey
        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by brentwoodkris View Post
          Check the classified section here on KR. I'm sure someone is willing to part with an extra set for cheaper than fleabay.
          I figured I'll be trying that route after a few more posts (not enough to reply in there yet).

And I agree with 05RedKat about replacement honestly. Thanks!

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
          Your options...

Fix the wheel.
          Replace with a 98-02 wheel for direct fit.
          Replace the entire front end (triple, forks, wheel, possibly brakes depending on your situation) with that of a different bike. 03-06 kat would be a direct bolt swap in and use your brakes. Or a GSXR front end, or something like that.
          replace the rim with something that will fit, but doesn't look the same. Pre kat front rims for example will bolt right in... but have a different spoke design.

Krey
          Hehe, ninja'd by the master. I was wondering if the pre fronts fit, now I know. The appearance isn't as important to me on this one. Even if they don't match design-wise I figure I'll paint to match color-wise so it won't be as noticeable.

Anything special on the pre wheels? Like brake rotor spacing, overall hub width? Though I think those are reasonable enough that I can buy one and do some adapting if that's all it is.
          Last edited by Squisher; 08-30-2011, 09:37 AM. Reason: Ninja'd by Kreylyn
          Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want and deserve to get it good and hard. --
          H. L. Mencken

Comment

I figured I'll be trying that route after a few more posts (not enough to reply in there yet).

And I agree with 05RedKat about replacement honestly. Thanks!

Hehe, ninja'd by the master. I was wondering if the pre fronts fit, now I know. The appearance isn't as important to me on this one. Even if they don't match design-wise I figure I'll paint to match color-wise so it won't be as noticeable.

Anything special on the pre wheels? Like brake rotor spacing, overall hub width? Though I think those are reasonable enough that I can buy one and do some adapting if that's all it is.

It's a 3" rim width instead of 3.5" like your oem. Other than that, it's a straight bolt up.

Krey
            93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Awesome, thanks a ton.

Sounds like a new tire might be in order as well in that case, but that's not that big a deal to me.
              H. L. Mencken

Comment

Awesome, thanks a ton.

Sounds like a new tire might be in order as well in that case, but that's not that big a deal to me.

The 3" or 3.5" wheel both will fit the 120/70 with no issues. That would be the recomended tire for the Kat anyways.

Krey
                93 750 Kat

Comment

Working...
                X