Got it started finally

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What?

Comment

If your carbs are over-flowing you have a stuck float needle(s) most likely. If you've inspected the o-rings around the base of the float assembly and those are intact (no shrinkage, "crackage" or degradation) then you'll need to take out the float needles AND the seats and thoroughly clean them up. If you can't get them squeaky clean, you'll need to replace any that are malfunctioning.

If you have bad rubber (bad o-rings) then replace all of them as they're all likely to be bad even if just one appears to be bad.

Your bike should start and run fine with the vac. line plugged. You'll need to make sure you aux. tank is well vented so gas flows evenly. Sounds like yours may be totally flooded out by now with gas perhaps even down in the crankcase. Check for a high oil-level and oil that smells like gas.

Comment

Originally posted by flcmbt View Post
        Arsenic, I thought that could be a possibility, but when I pull the bottom float, it seems to be seated snugly in place. Or at least, it looks like it. I don't really know for sure. The O-Rings on both the Pilot, and the fuel lines, are in good shape. When you press the float contraption into place, it stays there. No play. The float needle is non adjustable, but I pulled them out, and blew carb cleaner and then air through them, visually inspected to make sure that the plungers all move freely, and I am pretty sure they do. The range of motion on the float flows freely, and no hitches in movement. My ONLY guess at this point is that the spring on the float is possibly weakened?
        In regard to the pilots, the guy I took them to said he took the carbs totally apart, but he had them back to me in less than 24 hours. So I don't know that he fully cleaned the pilot jets. I am at school currently, so I will be picking them up in two weeks to tear into them myself as per the carbs 101 page. I wish it had pictures, but I can manage. I have done a lot of studying lately, so I think I can at least manage that. If that still fails, A stage 3 jet kit and pod filters will be my next course of action. I think there is a possibility of a vacuum leak also, which I am in the process of looking into.
        Arsenic, you know more than me lol. The vacuum port on the back of the carbs, the one that the fuel line plugs into. If there is a small leak at those, will that cause the rpm hike? That port is rigged closed at the moment, while I work on the bike. Using electrical tape. I never thought of this, because I assumed that a leak there would cause a non start, not a start with rpm hike.

Keep it simple brother, went a few ways on this one.
        Arsenic is on here alot so I can understand why he didnt try to decypher this. I read the last part at least and yes, the vacuum ports not being plugged properly will have a noticable impact. If you have any doubt about your plugs there (or rigged plug in this case) replace it.

Seriously have to ask after reading again... If you arent able to properly clean the carbs, what makes you think throwing a DJ 3 kit and some pods on is going to help you???
        Last edited by cintidude04; 09-12-2011, 11:04 PM.
        1992- project katfighter
        2005- GSXR750
        2001- TL1000R
        http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=111130
        www.lunchtimecigar.com

KATRIDERS RALLY 2014 - cintidude04
        KATRIDERS RALLY 2015 - cintidude04
        KATRIDERS RALLY 2016 - cintidude04

Comment

The reason I am saying that going to jetting them will help, is that as a friend on customfighters suggested, one or more jet may be or damaged in a way I haven't seen yet, and I would say that a jet kit would help in that regard. The pods I suggest because A)they are smaller than the stock air box, and easier to work with B) combined with my vandH exhaust help power, and C) when you keep searching for an issue and find nothing, move on to the next possibility, and that seemed like the next best thing.

Comment

A)they are smaller than the stock air box, and easier to work with

Comment

Hey guys, been a while since I posted on this problem. I have been at school, and the bike is 2 states away, so access is limited. I brought the carbs back with me, with the intention of pulling them apart, and inspecting the pilot jet as per the original inspection finally for myself.
              First observation, the guy I sent them out to, never removed the pilot jet and cleaned. It was seized into its seat, with that whitish residue all in there.
              So I went to remove them myself, and the screws as previously mentioned are not budging. The only screw driver I can get in there has a narrower head then the jet, so it seems to be doing damage. I stopped before it got so bad I couldnt get a bit on the screw part. Any ideas on how to proceed to remove the jets?

Comment

Hey guys, been a while since I posted on this problem. I have been at school, and the bike is 2 states away, so access is limited. I brought the carbs back with me, with the intention of pulling them apart, and inspecting the pilot jet as per the original inspection finally for myself.
                First observation, the guy I sent them out to, never removed the pilot jet and cleaned. It was seized into its seat, with that whitish residue all in there.
                So I went to remove them myself, and the screws as previously mentioned are not budging. The only screw driver I can get in there has a narrower head then the jet, so it seems to be doing damage. I stopped before it got so bad I couldnt get a bit on the screw part. Any ideas on how to proceed to remove the jets?
                Look, whenever troubleshooting carbs you need to return to complete stock to get a good baseline and go from there.

Stock needles
                Stock pilots
                Stock mains
                Stock filter
                Stock exhaust
                90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                Originally posted by soulless kaos
                but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

I know this, but I am not running stock exhaust, and won't be running stock Air box, thus going with stock jets would not really fix anything. I would still run lean.

Comment

Working...
                  X