X

Rebuilding Carbs, quick questions

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rebuilding Carbs, quick questions

Hello, I am in the process of rebuilding and jetting the carbs on my 92 750. Obviously someone has been in there before as there were some hard parts missing and the pilot for the # 3 carb is completely stripped. I wound up spraying almost 1 can of carb cleaner thru that pilot since I could not soak it.

One question I have has to do with the condition in which #3 and #4 were. #3 carb was by far the worst as far as cleaning. Every and I mean every orfice was full of a green powderish residue. #4 was spotless. Looked like a new carb inside. No problems what so ever. Im wondering if the 2 neighboring carbs being so different in condition signifies anything that I need to look out for?

I also would like to know about the rubber stoppers under the floats. The ones that go in the pilot orfice. Do they need to be a snug fit? Reason I ask is they appear to be in good shape but they aren't snug when putting them back in. Thank you

Rubber needs to be a snug fit.

Just means there was more or less fuel in that bowl, so nothing major. Also, if you are installing a Jet kit, you will need to get that pilot out as those get replaced too. Otherwise you will have to stick with stock jetting or whatever jetting is in there already.

Comment

Jet kit is a Factory Pro stage 1. It didn't come with any different pilots. Just Main jets and needles.

Comment

Ah, ok.

Another word of wisdom. If the rubber plugs have shrunk up, it's a good bet the rest of of the o-rings need to be replaced too. May as well do it all while you're in there.

Comment

Always replace the rubber gaskets ALL rubber gaskets when doing a rebuild. If the O rings on the float bowls are not snug your floats will not work properly. I just attempted re-building a set of 90 carbs for mine, ended up buying a new set.... Most of the issues I ran into were stripping bolts because they were so soft from age so look out for that!! green residue is strange, sounds like something oxidized or it could be a cleaning agent someone before you used.....

Comment

Originally posted by 90SuzuKat View Post
            Always replace the rubber gaskets ALL rubber gaskets when doing a rebuild. If the O rings on the float bowls are not snug your floats will not work properly. I just attempted re-building a set of 90 carbs for mine, ended up buying a new set.... Most of the issues I ran into were stripping bolts because they were so soft from age so look out for that!! green residue is strange, sounds like something oxidized or it could be a cleaning agent someone before you used.....
            After time like that Sta-Bil will be green.

Comment

I originally thought it could be something like stabil till I realized it was just with that 1 carb. #1 and #2 were dirty like expected. #3 horrible and green. #4 clean as a wissle. Whoever was inside there before didn't know squat about what they were doing aparently. Maybe the carbs weren't adjusted right.

All O-rings are new. Waiting on my carb rebuild kit to get here today for the last ones I need for the float assembly and the float bowl gasket. The bike only has 7,000 miles.

I'm gonna order those rubber plugs today. I dont think they come with the rebuild kit

Comment

Originally posted by 92GSX750 View Post
                The bike only has 7,000 miles.

only 7k miles on a 92.....well that is likely the problem with your messed up carbs. I often hear people say things like this....."it's a 92, BUT only has 7k miles". that right there is often the problem to start with....the bike just wasn't being used enough. a 20 yr old bike with 7k miles on it means it averaged about 350 per year, which is barely a tank of gas per year.

with mileage that low, on a bike that old, one should expect these problems and not be surprised by it. 20 years of an average of less than 2 tanks of gas going through it per year is bound result in carb problems. especially if the carbs are drained at the end of each season. it raises hell with the o-rings.
                I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

The bike was laid over and sat for 11-12 years with gas in it. I fully expected to have to rebuild them. Was just suprised at how different the condition those 2 carbs were

Comment

Does anybody know of a place to get those pilot jet rubber plugs fast. Been ordering my OEM replacement parts from Bike Bandit but they order it from somewhere else, ship it to them, then ship to me. Takes longer than I really want to wait

Comment

Go order them from your local dealership.

Comment

If bike bandit doesn't have them in stock, they order them from Suzuki. Which is exactly what the local dealer will do.
                        -Steve

sigpic
                        Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                        Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

True, but the dealer will get them like 3-5 days before you get them from BikeBandit. Trust me.

Comment

Maybe, maybe not. But for the 10% discount on bike bandit through AMA I'm willing to wait. Most dealers don't order parts until they hit the threshold for free shipping... if it's a slow week... it could be a while.
                            -Steve

sigpic
                            Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                            Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Just spoke with the dealer. They said if I ordered today, it would be Saturday at the latest. I have no problems with Bike Bandit at all. I just have a small window of time to get as much as possible done on this bike before college starts back up Monday. It's gonna be a hectic semester. Thanks for the advice Arsenic.

Comment

Working...
                              X