Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Does a jet kit help longevity of an older kat?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does a jet kit help longevity of an older kat?

Hey all I'm just curious. I know a jet kit will improve horsepower and what not. I'm not very interested in going faster or having a better acceleration, but if a jet kit helps the carburator and the bike in general run better and last longer I'd be all for it.

The bike needs spark plugs for sure among other things, but the carbs run ok already, but I plan on tearing it apart and giving it a good cleaning, and a jet kit is inexpensive enough, that I may just give it a go. However, if the difference won't be noticeable for the longevity of the bike, I'd skip it.

Just thoughts...

It will be the most noticable upgrade you ever do to your bike. If you arent looking for perforamce gains then it may not be worth the trouble. Although with the jet kit the throttle will be smoother and the bike will typically start easier.
    Originally posted by arsenic
    93 octane fuel and K&N pod filters rock.

Comment

Originally posted by HemiKat View Post
      It will be the most noticable upgrade you ever do to your bike. If you arent looking for perforamce gains then it may not be worth the trouble. Although with the jet kit the throttle will be smoother and the bike will typically start easier.
      Well that's good enough for me haha! Is there a good jet kit that you'd recommend? Not looking to break the bank, but not looking to cheap out either. It's a pre. Thanks again.

I'm also assuming that the best time to install a jet kit is when I have the carburator out for a cleaning? It sounds like everything has to get ripped out to install it anyways.
      Last edited by Jedison; 08-07-2011, 07:00 PM.

Comment

What year and cc bike do you have?

Comment

Factory pro.
          90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
          I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
          Originally posted by soulless kaos
          but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
            What year and cc bike do you have?
            It's a 92 600 Kat

Comment

SUZUKI GSX600F KATANA FACTORY PRO JET KIT 1.0
              I know it says 93-97, but it works just fine for 90-92 600's too.
              Or if you want to wait a week, I've have a rebuilt set of 90-97 600 carbs with a Factory Pro jet kit. With Factory Pro nickle plated emulsion tubes. Now that will increase longevity for sure. That will probably break the bank though. Just buying a jet kit is gonna be a lot cheaper.
              Last edited by arsenic; 08-07-2011, 08:41 PM.

Comment

Or if you want to wait a week, I've have a rebuilt set of 90-97 600 carbs with a Factory Pro jet kit. With Factory Pro nickle plated emulsion tubes. Now that will increase longevity for sure. That will probably break the bank though. Just buying a jet kit is gonna be a lot cheaper.
                Well when you say break the bank, which type of bank are you talking about? AA+ Credit American Bank or AAA Canadian Credit Bank?

Seriously though, fire me a pm (if you don't feel comfortable naming a price here)! I may be interested!!!

Comment

Arsenic is THE man when it comes to carbs on these bikes. If I weren't workin on an efi swap, he would definitely have my business.
                  1992- project katfighter
                  2005- GSXR750
                  2001- TL1000R
                  http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=111130
                  www.lunchtimecigar.com

KATRIDERS RALLY 2014 - cintidude04
                  KATRIDERS RALLY 2015 - cintidude04
                  KATRIDERS RALLY 2016 - cintidude04

Comment

I just got my Factory Pro for $116.95 to my door, free shipping, off Ebay. Not much difference in price but every little helps

Comment

From seller "Racecrafters", yeah they're good.

Comment

Originally posted by Jedison View Post
                        However, if the difference won't be noticeable for the longevity of the bike, I'd skip it.

Just thoughts...
                        unless you are adding a slip-on or something or doing some other "modding", then you are just tossing your money away on a jet kit, IF you are only trying to get more life out of your engine. as for easy start up and smooth throttle response...stock jets work just fine if your carbs are tuned properly.

the kat engines are already pretty much bullet proof, so adding a jet kit in belief that it will make your engine last longer is...well, just plain silly. the ONLY effect your carbs have on the life of the engine is how lean or rich you are running it, be it with stock jets or aftermarket. too rich you get carbon build up...to lean you can burn valves.

imho, you would be better off investing in good quality oil if the longevity of your engine is what concerns you.

But hey...that's just me. I put over 220,000kms on my 1100 kat with stock jets....and know a few others that got very high mileage from their bikes the same way. so ya....I think it's BS that a jet kit will make your engine last longer, and someone would have to show me some pretty convincing evidence to make me change my opinion on that.
                        I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Mike, I never said the jet kit will improve longevity, but that will.

Comment

I know, Chris....I was just addressing the original question.

as for the emulsion tubes increasing longevity, for sure in the life of the emulsion tubes as the stock ones can wear. but for the life of the engine in general...still don't see it.

as for the jet kit itself.....aftermarket jet kits are typically made of anodized aluminum at best, where as the stock ones are typically nickle plated. so as far as longevity is concerned there, well you would have to be some lucky to get 100k miles out of aftermarket jets, but easily doable with stock.

don't get me wrong, I am not knocking aftermarket jet kits at all. they do have their place and purpose.....it's just that "longevity" in engine life, and even carb life (aside from the nickle plated emulsion tubes), is not one of them.
                            I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Factory Pro uses Mikuni main jets. They are the same jets that your bike comes with, just a few different sizes. I think I'm agreeing with you in the sense that Dynojet sucks. Don't include Factory Pro in with them. The stock jets are brass BTW.
                              Last edited by arsenic; 08-08-2011, 02:03 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X