X

Amsoil question

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amsoil question

I know the oil question has been beat to death around here.
    Used the search, and read all I could read.

I just changes the oil for the 2nd time this year.
    1st time I used amsoil motorcycle 10-40.

I went to my local napa and bought the filter and oil. They are a amsoil dealer, and didn't have the motorcycle specific oil. They told me that the regular amsoil 10-40 full synthetic would work just as well.

The bottles are very similar and after running the bike a fews times, the bike is shifting way better than before.

Like I said earlier the bottles are very similar, but 1 says motorcycle the other does not.
    The regular bottle has the correct ratings on the back, but I am wondering if I am doing any harm?
    Last edited by CentralPaKatana; 08-05-2011, 06:59 PM. Reason: spelling

If the ratings are correct, then it doesn't matter.

Comment

According to AMSOIL's website, "motorcycle oils must be compatible with wet clutches. AMSOIL motorcycle oils are designed to meet the unique frictional requirements necessary for wet clutch compatibility and provide maximum protection and performance in these applications."

One of the issues with using synthetic oils is that they add all kinds of stuff to reduce friction. Unlike a car, however (most) bikes use a wet clutch, bathed in engine oil. Keeps it cool. Once you start adding all the junk to help reduce friction in the engine you start reducing the friction available to the clutch. Answer is to produce motorcycle specific oil formulations without some of the additives. You get the longer hydrocarbon molecules that come with synthetic production but without the extras.
      Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
      HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

True. I use Amsoil but only the motorcycle version. I would not use the car version for the before stated risk of friction loss with the clutch plates. Only time will tell.

Comment

Check the rating of the oil. ie jaso-ma or whatever do a search or check the wiki for types of oil to use an cross check it with what you are using.
          1992- project katfighter
          2005- GSXR750
          2001- TL1000R
          http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=111130
          www.lunchtimecigar.com

KATRIDERS RALLY 2014 - cintidude04
          KATRIDERS RALLY 2015 - cintidude04
          KATRIDERS RALLY 2016 - cintidude04

Comment

Ya know, I've been running auto oils in my dirtbikes with wet clutches for years, and never experienced any clutch failures at all. Maybe it's just the Valvoline/Napa oil, I dunno. Never really had any issues with it.

Comment

It all has to do with the rating like I mentioned
              1992- project katfighter
              2005- GSXR750
              2001- TL1000R
              www.lunchtimecigar.com

Comment

amsoil

Off the website-

Regular Amsoil Synthetic-

APPLICATIONS
                AMSOIL Synthetic 10W-40 Premium Protection Motor Oil is a multi-use, premium synthetic lubricant for applications that require or benefit from a higher viscosity oil. It is recommended for air and liquid cooled, large or small gasoline and diesel engines, transmissions and chaincase applications where 10W-40 oil is required with any of the following specifications:
                • API SL, SJ, SH, SG
                • API CI-4 Plus, CH-4, CF, CF-2
                • ISO-L-EMA • Caterpillar ECF-1
                • JASO MA (Motorcycle) • MAN 271/3275 • MTU Type 2
                • Cummins 20071/20072/20076/20077 • VDS-2, VDS
                • Mack EO-M+ • ACEA A3/B3, E3, E5 • MB 228.3, 229.1
                • Detroit Diesel 93K214

Exceeds the Requirements of Wet Clutch Transmissions
                AMSOIL Premium Protection Synthetic Motor Oil contains no friction modifiers, making it ideal for motorcycles, maintenance equipment and other wet clutch transmission applications. Formulated to prevent clutch glazing and slippage, it helps insure smooth clutch engagement and long term, dependable transmission operation. AMSOIL Synthetic 10W-40 Motor Oil reduces clutch wear for extended transmission life.

Amsoil Synthetic Motorcycle-

AMSOIL Synthetic Motorcycle Oils have been reformulated with new high performance additive technology that provides even greater multi-functional benefits for the special requirements of motorcycle applications. These independent and exclusive new AMSOIL formulations provide second-to-none viscosity protection for hot-running American and foreign motorcycle engines, transmissions and primary chaincases. Performance specifications include:API SG, SL/CF, CG-4; JASO MA/MA2; ISO-L-EMA2; API GL-1

So this is where I get confused. They are very similar.
                In my opinion, both look like they meet or exceed the requirements needed.

Comment

Considering 10w-40 premium states •JASO MA (Motorcycle) • MAN 271/3275 • MTU Type 2, I think your ok.
                  Here have a look at this. http://katriders.com/wiki/index.php5...=Oil_Selection
                  1992- project katfighter
                  2005- GSXR750
                  2001- TL1000R
                  www.lunchtimecigar.com

Comment

Thanks for the link to the wiki.

Both oils seem very similar. The only difference I can see is a bit more "modern" oil made for newer bikes in the motorcycle specific oil.

The weird thing is how the bike is shifting now.
                    it's a noticeable difference.
                    I still have the second gear clunk, but that's not something that oil is going to change.

Comment

Amsoil was the only oil I ever noticed a significant difference from. Shifting was more postive and in gear coasting was smoother and lasted longer. If you check some of the actual test results you will find that the motorcycle verion has better heat shear breakdown protection and viscosity retention than the car version. Motorcycle engines, especially oil cooled ones, really hammer oils lubricating properties due to the temeperature and high revs. The M/C version is of most oil companies are engineered to compensate for this. You will probably be OK using the car version, but you might want to check out the M/C version next change time. I think you will notice a difference.

Comment

Just spit on your clutch lever, Mike. That'll show it who's the boss.
                        ハイどーぞバカ外人!

03 Suzuki Intruder Volusia, 95 Kat 750, 06 Kat 750, 01 Yamaha R6, 96 Suzuki Bandit 750 (Jspec), 04 GSXR 1000, 06 Honda CBR1000RR

メイクショップ 神谷 (2013)
                        チームのパドック松田 (2014)

US Marine veteran
                        Semper Fi

Comment

Originally posted by expvet View Post
                          Amsoil was the only oil I ever noticed a significant difference from. Shifting was more postive and in gear coasting was smoother and lasted longer. If you check some of the actual test results you will find that the motorcycle verion has better heat shear breakdown protection and viscosity retention than the car version. Motorcycle engines, especially oil cooled ones, really hammer oils lubricating properties due to the temeperature and high revs. The M/C version is of most oil companies are engineered to compensate for this. You will probably be OK using the car version, but you might want to check out the M/C version next change time. I think you will notice a difference.
                          That's the thing...I used the motorcycle version when I changed it in march.
                          I just changed again the other day with regular. That's why I can figure out the smoother shifting.

Comment

It's probably shifting smoother because your clutch cable needs to be adjusted and the clutch plates were grabbing a little before you changed to an oil that actually lessens the clutch's ability to engage. Hopefully the new oil's not doing its job so well that your clutch slips under acceleration.
                            Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                            HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Working...
                            X