X

Correct application of Seafoam?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Correct application of Seafoam?

My 95 has about 16k miles, and I was told had the carbs rebuilt last year, but I still want to treat it with some seafoam before its next oil change because of the positive things I hear about it. What is the correct way to use it? some in gas tank, some directly into carbs? sorry if there's already a post on this. i looked but couldn't find any
    Sweet Lincoln's Mullet

You pour a little bit into the gas tank before you fill it up. Then you drink the rest of it (it's about 20% alcohol, I believe).

Seafoam really is basically a mix of alcohol, diesel fuel, and charcoal lighter fluid, if I'm not mistaken.
    Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

Yeah, read the instructions. They are on the bottle. Follow them.

Comment

I fill up the tank and put in the whole bottle. Causes no problems and gives me a full tanks worth of carb cleaning.

Comment

Originally posted by expvet View Post
          I fill up the tank and put in the whole bottle. Causes no problems and gives me a full tanks worth of carb cleaning.
          And that is what happends when you don't read the instructions. You're not supposed to pour in the whole bottle.

Comment

With the average bottle of seafoam being 16 oz an the directions saying to use about 1 oz per gallon... yea a whole bottle is not recommended.
            1992- project katfighter
            2005- GSXR750
            2001- TL1000R
            http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=111130
            www.lunchtimecigar.com

KATRIDERS RALLY 2014 - cintidude04
            KATRIDERS RALLY 2015 - cintidude04
            KATRIDERS RALLY 2016 - cintidude04

Comment

But if one ounce is good, 12oz must be 12x as good right?

Wow...read the damn can...
              90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
              I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
              Originally posted by soulless kaos
              but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

went out and bought seafoam. ready to pour it in, and realize my battery is dead. I always manage to leave my bike on somehow.. either pop starting or jumping it with my car, anybody got any good or bad experiences with either? got a long hill for a driveway and my car. so either is possible?
                Sweet Lincoln's Mullet

Comment

If you do it with the car, leave the car off.
                  1992- project katfighter
                  2005- GSXR750
                  2001- TL1000R
                  http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=111130
                  www.lunchtimecigar.com

KATRIDERS RALLY 2014 - cintidude04
                  KATRIDERS RALLY 2015 - cintidude04
                  KATRIDERS RALLY 2016 - cintidude04

Comment

i've had to roll down a hill before. put it in 4-5th gear hold the clutch and get alittle speed going and ease of the clutch and away you go. don't slam the clutch! posible scenerios are , rear wheel slidding out from under you, clutch damage, cause a flat spot on the tire.

Just think about the cause and you can figure out the effect. It work vise versa as well.
                    Last edited by flash007; 08-04-2011, 02:22 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                    "The shortest distance between two points is for people that don't ride!"

2001 Suzuki TL1000R Sold to Cintidude "May you be one with the Torque!!"
                    1998 Suzuki Gsxr 750 SRAD
                    2006 Suzuki Katana 600

Comment

Is there any potential damage by using the whole bottle? I have done it a few times and the bike runs fine during and after the treatment.

Comment

Do you notice a lot of white smoke when you run the whole bottle? Cause that's what happens. Read the bottle next time.

Comment

Originally posted by expvet View Post
                          Is there any potential damage by using the whole bottle?
                          You tell us. I prefer to RTFM.
                          "We are not all beautiful unique flowers. Some of us have bad ideas and bad taste and the things we do come out awful, no matter how much work we put in."

Comment

SeaFoam doesn't burn quite as well as gasoline. The effect of running too much SeaFoam is pretty much the same as running too lean. The bike runs hot and has less power. I don't worry too much about losing some power when it's just one tank worth but running too lean causes the valves to overheat and can cause some problems there. Could also cause excessive wear on the rings and cylinder walls, too by burning off the oil coating.
                            Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                            HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Never had any white smoke issues but the hotter burn risk makes sense. No more full bottles for me.

Comment

Working...
                              X