X

losing cylinders

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• losing cylinders

So i ride a 1995 750 and it rides like a dream around town but when you ride for any distance above 70mph it will randomly lose power in cylinders. it seems like the carbs are running out of fuel slowly but one at a time. once it starts to die i can switch the fuel selector to prime as im riding and it may or may not fix it. i have a throttle lock that i use and while cruising if i watch the speedo drop i switch it to prime for 10 seconds and then go back to on and i repeat that every 1-2 miles once it happens the first time. i need to know if the last people to have the bike apart put the vent, fuel, and vacuum hoses hooked up correctly. or what else the problem can be.

Check for kinks in your fuel line. Other than that.... may need to clean the carbs?
    1992- project katfighter
    2005- GSXR750
    2001- TL1000R
    http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=111130
    www.lunchtimecigar.com

KATRIDERS RALLY 2014 - cintidude04
    KATRIDERS RALLY 2015 - cintidude04
    KATRIDERS RALLY 2016 - cintidude04

Comment

What happens if you switch it to prime and keep riding it on the hwy?

Does the problem persist or does the bike run smooth?
      "Life is what happens when you make plans..."

http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=119546

Comment

Originally posted by bbc.monte View Post
        So i ride a 1995 750 and it rides like a dream around town but when you ride for any distance above 70mph it will randomly lose power in cylinders. it seems like the carbs are running out of fuel slowly but one at a time. once it starts to die i can switch the fuel selector to prime as im riding and it may or may not fix it. i have a throttle lock that i use and while cruising if i watch the speedo drop i switch it to prime for 10 seconds and then go back to on and i repeat that every 1-2 miles once it happens the first time. i need to know if the last people to have the bike apart put the vent, fuel, and vacuum hoses hooked up correctly. or what else the problem can be.
        Originally posted by Nut-Nut View Post
        What happens if you switch it to prime and keep riding it on the hwy?

Does the problem persist or does the bike run smooth?
        It's there. Proper punctuation and spelling are a big help when asking for such. I almost missed it too.

Comment

Does your RPM fluctuate ?

Comment

Pre 750? Does it have a fuel filter installed inline? If so, take it off! They weren't designed for that.

Comment

Originally posted by 05RedKat600 View Post
              It's there. Proper punctuation and spelling are a big help when asking for such. I almost missed it too.

Red, he also stated that he kept switching it back... I was wondering if he kept it on for the rest of the ride... and what happened... +1 on punctuation...lol

I rode with a friend once that would lose power and a few minutes later the bike die, old FJ1100, once it got really hot. He refused to ride with it set to prime, so we distracted him and I switched it. The rest of the day was no problems. We shut it back to run when we parked for the night, to his surprise lol. Bad Petcock/diaphram...

Comment

A fuel flow issue would definately be my first guess on things to check and diagnose with this problems presented.

Krey
                93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Nut-Nut View Post
                  Red, he also stated that he kept switching it back... I was wondering if he kept it on for the rest of the ride... and what happened... +1 on punctuation...lol

I rode with a friend once that would lose power and a few minutes later the bike die, old FJ1100, once it got really hot. He refused to ride with it set to prime, so we distracted him and I switched it. The rest of the day was no problems. We shut it back to run when we parked for the night, to his surprise lol. Bad Petcock/diaphram...
                  I caught yours, you caught mine, I say that makes us even.

Comment

it does the same thing no matter what position the fuel selector is in. it seems like the change in position is what fixes it. i thought that it may do better in prime but it doesnt. and also once it dies if it sits with it in prime it takes approximately 5 minutes and it will start right back up and run like a bat out of hell for another 2-3 miles.

Comment

Originally posted by bbc.monte View Post
                      it does the same thing no matter what position the fuel selector is in. it seems like the change in position is what fixes it. i thought that it may do better in prime but it doesnt. and also once it dies if it sits with it in prime it takes approximately 5 minutes and it will start right back up and run like a bat out of hell for another 2-3 miles.
                      Again, does it have a fuel filter installed? If so, take it off.

If not, then you have crap in the tank or your petcock is blocked. Or your fuel line may be pinched a bit. Time to remove the tank and have a look see.

Comment

+1

Comment

Originally posted by 05RedKat600 View Post
                          Or your fuel line may be pinched a bit. Time to remove the tank and have a look see.
                          Just like the first suggestion.
                          1992- project katfighter
                          2005- GSXR750
                          2001- TL1000R
                          www.lunchtimecigar.com

Comment

Originally posted by cintidude04 View Post
                            Just like the first suggestion.
                            inorite?

Comment

It's cool, I'm used to people ignoring my advice. All I can say is my kat runs spectacularly. And Ive done all the work myself.
                              1992- project katfighter
                              2005- GSXR750
                              2001- TL1000R
                              www.lunchtimecigar.com

Comment

Working...
                              X