• Basic questions!

2001 Katana 600 - stock bought in May with 9600 KM
    - now 12300KM
    - Bel-Ray EXP Synthetic Ester Blend 4T Engine Oil
    - new battery
    - new NGK spark plugs
    - Two cycles of Sea Foam

Ok here is the story,

Initially I had some issues with starting the bike. After changing the battery and runing two cycles of Seafoam through the gas tank it is easier to start. However, there are a few things I've noticed and don't know what's up, hoping a few ideas;

1. Usually needs 2 attempts to get it started after parking it for a 2-3hrs, in mid 20s temperture (degrees celcius) without choke. Should I be using the choke everytime I park for this time period?

2. After starting, it throttles around the 1000 r/min mark but not steady. The throttle rise and falls a bit like it wants to stall but doesn't. Noting the rise and fall is very small. A few times I've tried to rev the engine but get a delayed reaction to the trottle change. NOTE this only happens on start up after sitting for 2-3 hrs but after riding for a bit it runs and responses fine (I think).

3. I only get 30 miles per gallon from a full tank of gas just riding around town. I know several factors affect the mpg but should it be this low just riding casually, no high reving etc? What should I start looking into to attempt to resolve this?

4. Would a tune up help and what would be done during the tune up?

My first bike ever, very very basic mechanical experience but trying to learn.

Thanks

blue 2001 Katana 600 - Hindle slip on, Hole shot 5 degree ignition advancer

1. Welcome to the wonderful world of carburated engines. Your engine is going to be hardest to start when it's half-warm. It needs some choke but not full choke. You've got to find the happy spot and that's going to shift around based on how hot the engine was when you parked, the air temp and how long it's been sitting.

2. A tune up almost never hurts. I'd recommend checking the valve clearances and syncing the carbs.

3. You said you've run 2 cycles of SeaFoam. Are you on straight gas now? The bike will run better on straight gas than it will with the SeaFoam even though running SeaFoam once in a while is a good idea. (Especially right after you get the bike. No telling how long the PO let it sit before selling.)
    Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
    HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Download the manual in the wiki at the top of the page. It will have the answers you need. Sounds like you may be run a little rich and be in need of a carb sync.
      1992- project katfighter
      2005- GSXR750
      2001- TL1000R
      http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=111130
      www.lunchtimecigar.com

KATRIDERS RALLY 2014 - cintidude04
      KATRIDERS RALLY 2015 - cintidude04
      KATRIDERS RALLY 2016 - cintidude04

Comment

I would do a quick float seal check myself. If the float needles are not sealing off, and allowing the fuel in the lines to drain into a carb or 2, you would see some issues with getting the bike started for a moment (takes a second or two to blow out the excess fuel to get the right mix of fuel/air for it to fire) and also would have an effect on your overall gas mileage.

Krey
        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Thanks guys for the suggestions. I'm going to read a bit on the carbs and see if should attempt the solutions on my own or just take it to a professional. I'll let you guys know what happens.

By the way I'm running on straight gas now to answer Wild-Bill's question

Comment

Ok so wanted to let you guys know what the end result was.

So I took her to the shop and had them look into the issues. They found some vacuum leaks and a torn rubber of sme kind in the carbs I think. They fixed all that and cleaned the carbs as well. I also had them install a Hindle slip on and a Hole shot 5 degree ignition advancer.

The bike is running almost mint right now and wen I take it extra easy on the throttle I get around 44miles per gallon. So it all worked out. Thanks for all the advice.

Comment

I guarantee this is better than what your dealer did:
              carburetors carbs Suzuki GSX600F Katana 600 98-06
              Jus' Sayin'

Comment

Working...
              X