X

Sproket Sizes and recommendations

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sproket Sizes and recommendations

I'm planning on getting new sprokets/chain in the springtime and I've been trying to do my research early. A lot of people seem to recommend going -1 in the front sproket to 14 and leaving the back at 47 with the stock chain size. I went to a local bike shop and they recommended that I buy a chain/sproket set to save money. When looking through the magazines I couldn't find any 14/47 sproket sets. Does anyone know of any good sets? I read CyberPoets writings on sproket sizes and I would like to keep the increase in power below his recommended limit (although the actual sproket sizes & %increase escapes me right now). Also, going down one size in the chain length was recommended to save money. Any comments on significant loss in chain life due to smaller chain vs cost savings? Finally, what is are the best performing sprokets/chains for cost/performance

most aftermarket chains come 120 link - if you need it smaller (118 stock) you'll need to remove two links.

i ran 14-47 for a while but when i bought my set i went 15-50. the rear sprocket was a bit more but i wanted to keep the 15 front ( for chain wear ).

look for the new steel tooth on aluminum carrier ( tri-metal )
    & chain - DID, RK, EK in that order.
    (i'm running an RK )

tim

Comment

I think a lot of the kits were for something around 15-37 or other 30's for the rear. Is that strange? I need to look back at the link that has the % increases but if I were to guess I would say that those would significantly lower the power

Comment

I put a 48 on the rear of mine (15 front) and there was a slight difference in accel, but not much of a noticable difference. I traveled 100miles round trip per day so the added RPM was ok. If I only used the Kat as a weekend toy I'd go 14/47 with a 530 chain (for strength).
        Are paradigms another way of viewing 20 pennies or 4 nickles . . . think out of the roll

Comment

Originally posted by robm
          I think a lot of the kits were for something around 15-37 or other 30's for the rear.
          Sounds very much like you were looking at the kits for the wrong bike, such as for a GSXR instead of a GSXF. The stock rear sprocket sizes for the kats have always been 45 or 47 tooth, depending on the year and model.

Cheers,
          =-= The CyberPoet
          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
          X