X

Acetone as a fuel additive?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Acetone as a fuel additive?

Found an interesting link about acetone. I plan on trying it in my car and bike. What do ya'll think? Very convencing.

jim
    Are paradigms another way of viewing 20 pennies or 4 nickles . . . think out of the roll

Stupid idea

Comment

I usually just pee in the tank. No web page yet.

Comment

It should work; light petrochemical distillates are key ingredients in most fuel system cleaners like techron, etc, and acetone would act as if it were one of them...
        The problem in a Katana or other bike is that acetone vaporizes very readily, so by the 2nd day (at least in warm weather), it'd probably be all evaporated out of the tank again...

But I have seen people use it to get their cars past emissions inspects. I've seen people use Keytone for the same purpose.

Cheers
        =-= The CyberPoet
        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Huh , so a couple ounces COULD maybe help clean the engine if you went throught a tankful a day though , in theory . :-k Wonder if it'd work any better than commercial products designed for that . I was worried about it causing the rubber bits in the carbs to die faster .
          I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
            It should work; light petrochemical distillates are key ingredients in most fuel system cleaners like techron, etc, and acetone would act as if it were one of them...
            The problem in a Katana or other bike is that acetone vaporizes very readily, so by the 2nd day (at least in warm weather), it'd probably be all evaporated out of the tank again...

But I have seen people use it to get their cars past emissions inspects. I've seen people use Keytone for the same purpose.

Cheers
            =-= The CyberPoet
            Ok so if you are almost out of gas...probably close to running on reserve and you put it in then once you use up the rest of the gas and put new gas in would that help?? What damage would it cause..possibly?
            Good judgement comes from experience, and often experience comes from Bad Judgement :smt084
            Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com
            Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to Register

nah nah nah nah nah nah JAX! (special thnx to sexwax)

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet

Cheers
              =-= The CyberPoet
              I agree.
              A co-worker was telling me about it.. I have a hard time beliving the
              wonderous advantages. The ratios he was quoteing sound too small to make any gains (in HP or MPG)
              You can design an engine to run on any burnable fluid..
              But in the case of liquids with very high vapor pressures..
              Dropping them into a vented tank will see them disapear quickly..
              Now if you incorperated an injection system....

Comment

I believe the key to the Acetone is not to eat seals (however you need newer synthetic gaskets which newer vehicles have in them and dont use fuel containing Ethonal) but it assists the fuel in burning more completely.

As for evap'ing, as long as the gas cap is on you're good to go.

No so stupid if you understand chemical compositions and do the research. Not doing the research before starting is stupid or should I say not wise.
                Are paradigms another way of viewing 20 pennies or 4 nickles . . . think out of the roll

Comment

I like how it makes my hands feel cold.

Comment

Originally posted by simple guy
                    I believe the key to the Acetone is not to eat seals
                    concentrations should not be that high.. but that is a good point..
                    As for evap'ing, as long as the gas cap is on you're good to go.
                    Not true. The gas tank is vented..
                    The Acetone will evap into the head space of the tank then
                    vent out the tank tube vent...

Comment

Black_peter Posted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 5:08 pm Post subject: Not true. The gas tank is vented.. The Acetone will evap into the head space of the tank then vent out the tank tube vent...
                      That is a true statement but the venting is "pressure" venting. It is a sealed system until it creates a pressure that will open a psi relief valve that is typically in the gas cap. Plus the article said to experiment with qty added this should take up for the loss.

Either way you make good points and I'll let ya know how things work out.

Comment

Black_peter Posted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 5:08 pm Post subject: Not true. The gas tank is vented.. The Acetone will evap into the head space of the tank then vent out the tank tube vent...
                        That is a true statement but the venting is "pressure" venting. It is a sealed system until it creates a pressure that will open a psi relief valve that is typically in the gas cap. .
                        Ummm no..
                        In a car maybe.. not a Kat at least...
                        The vent tube runs right from the tank to the outside..

Comment

That is a true statement but the venting is "pressure" venting. It is a sealed system until it creates a pressure that will open a psi relief valve that is typically in the gas cap. Plus the article said to experiment with qty added this should take up for the loss.
                          It is a sealed venting system only on certain models up to 2005:
                          The California models have a sealed vapor recovery system;
                          The Austrian and Swiss versions have the same system;
                          Some German models had the sealed system as well.
                          Which 2006 models have it, I am not sure of yet (possibly all European models).

For all other markets for 2005 and before, the system up to and thru the 2005 model year were a simple open vent system with no one-way valve or other restrictors. The gas cap seal is there only to help keep rain water out of the tank (in conjunction with the lip around the tank opening), but does not form an air-tight seal.

Cheers,
                          =-= The CyberPoet
                          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

The key to using acetone is finding it in a pure form. Can buy at the local wal-mart, but has additives to stabilize for shelf life. From years of drag racing bikes and cars, I can tell you from firs hand experience, "Stay away from anything not solely designed or formulated for engine tanks!" The short-term benefits do not outweigh the long-term effects. Every once and a while a web page will pop up advocating one additive component over another, this is all short lived. So beware of such pages as this. Do a search for gas additives, and you will get an idea of some of the things that people tout for your gas tank.
                            One project done, now on to the next few!!
                            Explanation to girlfriend," I could be blowing time and money on strippers and booze!!!"

"Ahhh! The bliss of retirement and being broke all at the same time!!"

Comment

Try some model airplane fuel such as 30 or 45% nitro. I always mix a cup or 2 in my Katana and Banshee. I can feel and smell a slight difference in peformance.

Comment

Working...
                              X