X

katana runs like doo.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• katana runs like doo.

Little back story, picked up my 92 Kat 600 from a friends friends friends friend For close to nothing, it sat for two years. Got it home hooked everything up did a oil change and tried to change the plugs, I think it may be cylinder 2s plug is stuck, and that runner on the header does not get hot. so it was running very poorly, so I puller the carbs cleaner them and threw them back on, still runs the same, it cranks and cranks for a mints then will fire over, then the only way it will idle is if I'm a little over half choke. I'm at a loss.

Need to clean your carbs, check out Carbs 101 in the wiki or how to section.
    1992- project katfighter
    2005- GSXR750
    2001- TL1000R
    http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=111130
    www.lunchtimecigar.com

KATRIDERS RALLY 2014 - cintidude04
    KATRIDERS RALLY 2015 - cintidude04
    KATRIDERS RALLY 2016 - cintidude04

Comment

Yeah, I'd suggest you actually do the carbs right. Don't feel bad, there's like a 10% success rate when people try to do there own carb works. That's why I rebuild carbs.

Comment

I'd say you need to get that plug changed. If the cylinder is cold and the plug won't come out, then you have more problems than just carbs.

Comment

It could also be a coil problem or a faulty cdi unit

Comment

Possibly, but I'd put my money on a dirty idle circuit and a faulty plug that he cant get out. Have you tried penetrating oil on it?
            1992- project katfighter
            2005- GSXR750
            2001- TL1000R
            www.lunchtimecigar.com

Comment

If he has the engine running. I can't help but think that some fuel would be getting through the carb to cylinder 2 and make at least some heat in the exhaust. I'm betting that plug isn't firing. Especially, if you rev it up. You won't be on just the idle circuit. There will be too much signal coming from the engine.

Comment

I'm an idiot when it comes to carbs. The cylinder with The stuck plug gets warm, but not nearly has warm, I haven't messed with it much. So do you think I should pull the carbs and get them rebuilt? and it may sound stupid but what's the cdi?

Comment

CDI= capacitive discharge ignition.

When you say cylinder are you feeling the exhaust pipes? It's either going to be cold or burn your fingers hot. I doubt any in between. If it's getting hot. Clean the carbs. If it's cold then it's the plug or the ignition. Cleaning the carbs isn't that tough of a job. Just put them back the same way they came apart and set all the screws the same number of turns out and you'll be fine.

Comment

Katanas do not have a CDI, it is actually the Ignitor Unit Assembly. But that is just a technical thing and many do not know the difference.
                    1992- project katfighter
                    2005- GSXR750
                    2001- TL1000R
                    www.lunchtimecigar.com

Comment

Going to clean the carbs after work today, checked over all the wires and suchs, po claims theys were replaced before he put it away, look fine to me, po said the bike ran great before he stored it also, so I'm guessing the carbs are gumed up, last night before I started tearing into it I tried firing it up, just kept turning over, so for the sake of it I squirted a little starter fluid in and it fired right up, shut it off, fired up right again, I let it idle for a bit at a little above half choke, then turned it down and it died right away. That second cylinder runner did get warm, it's not nearly as hot as the rest, but there jasons warmth, hopefully that will help you guys help me a little more, I wanna ride this thing

Comment

You really don't need anymore help. We already told you too clean the carbs. Do that and you'll be fine.

Comment

Agreed...

If you spray fluid and the bike runs... = carbs are dirty, cause that is all they do. Mist the fluid with air to make the bike run, and they are not doing that for you atm.

Krey
                          93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

So now the question is where do I get replacement carbs?

Comment

I sell rebuilt carbs.

I sold the last set of 90-97 600 carbs yesterday, but I'll have another set done today.

Comment

Working...
                              X