Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front Sprocket Disintigrated After Replacement

***UPDATED***
    Click here for most recent post

I swapped both gears and the chain this winter. I went 3 up in the rear and left the front count alone and the new chain used the same number of links.
    The bike has about 600ish miles since then. The rear gear looked to be wearing alright. I wouldn't know exactly as it was my first swap to aluminum.
    I noticed a lot of shavings so tore it down; what I found wasn't pretty.
    I think I was 3 miles from snapping the first tooth.
    What the hell caused this?
    The chain was properly tensioned from the start and I gave it an alignment before I put it on the road.

Last edited by LandoCommando; 06-17-2011, 06:25 PM.

You went up 3 teeth in the rear and used the same amount of links? Interesting. I have that same setup, not an aluminum sprocket, but 15/50. My chain is 122 links, not 118.
    Last edited by arsenic; 06-06-2011, 05:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
      You went up 3 teeth in the rear and used the same amount of links? Interesting. I have that same setup, not an aluminum sprocket, but 15/50. My chain is 122 links, not 118.
      The axle wasnt even jammed up against the front of the slots. There was a little room to play actually.

Comment

Just because you can doesn't mean you should. I'm fairly certain your front sprocket would agree with that.

Comment

I can't tell for certain, but was the chain lubricated?

The chain looks very dry.

If this was purchased from the KR store please get with me or GSXFJim.
          -Steve

sigpic
          Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
          Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Yeah, +3 links but the same length chain tells me something is wrong...

What kind of lube did you use on the chain? How often did you lube it (miles between lube)? Looks a bit "lube-less" and dry.

You mention swap to aluminum... that's just the rear sprocket, not the front too right? The front is steel?

Krey
            93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Well, I think he bought a custom sprocket set from the KR Store. The Front is steel, the rear is AL.
              -Steve

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by steves View Post
                I can't tell for certain, but was the chain lubricated?

The chain looks very dry.
                looks like no lube ever.
                never sleep with anyone crazier than yourself sigpic2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016

Comment

Originally posted by steves View Post
                  Well, I think he bought a custom sprocket set from the KR Store. The Front is steel, the rear is AL.
                  I did get it from the KR store and the front was (*edit - definitely not*) aluminum.

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
                  Yeah, +3 links but the same length chain tells me something is wrong...

What kind of lube did you use on the chain? How often did you lube it (miles between lube)? Looks a bit "lube-less" and dry.
                  Krey
                  It looks dry because I started cleaning it before I pulled the cover off.
                  The chain was lubed every 200 miles with 10w40 and Suzuki chainlube:

only pic I could find.
                  Last edited by LandoCommando; 06-07-2011, 08:12 AM.

Comment

It may be the angle, but the chain looks tight to me. There's supposed to be some play in it.
                    Get over yourself. For me to think you are an idiot, I would first need to think of you.

sigpic

Comment

If you did somehow get an AL front sprocket that aint good, and this is exactly why lol.
                      Yea hard to tell from these pics, but did you have the proper amount of free play in the chain?
                      1992- project katfighter
                      2005- GSXR750
                      2001- TL1000R
                      http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=111130
                      www.lunchtimecigar.com

KATRIDERS RALLY 2014 - cintidude04
                      KATRIDERS RALLY 2015 - cintidude04
                      KATRIDERS RALLY 2016 - cintidude04

Comment

Yeah I didn't even know they made aluminum front sprockets. That's why.

Comment

All 7th gear kits ship with steel front sprockets. The rear is al.
                          -Steve

sigpic

Comment

Ill buy a new sprocket and a couple of links to the chain and try again.

Comment

You can't add links to the chain. You need to buy a new chain. Lube it this time.

Comment

Working...
                              X