X

Idling at 2500 RPMs!?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Idling at 2500 RPMs!?

I've noticed that my Kat 600 has been starting to idle pretty high after she warms up. I'm wondering if she might be overheating since she does seem to get pretty warm after a fairly short ride? The RPMs fluctuate (slowly) around 1800 to 2500 RPMs when idle after running for around 30 or so minutes. Any ideas? I am not at all mechanically inclined ... ok I'll be honest, that's a euphemism for I'm mechanically retarded. And no, its not the choke (I'm not that dumb).

Just because the choke lever is off at the handle bar, doesn't mean the choke plungers on the carbs are all the way shut. What year 600?

Comment

bouncy or erratic idle generally points towards a vacuum/air leak. I would suggest checking for that when the bike is doing the symptom. Sometimes the heat can change how a seal is working and only occur when hot for example.

Krey
      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Its a 2003. I would have no idea how to check for a vacuum or air leak though.

Comment

Don't mean to hijack the thread, but what would be the best way to check for an air/vacuum leak? I am having the same problem intermittently.. when I got the bike about 2 months ago it would start idling @ 2500-3000 rpm after about 30 mins of riding.. I thought I had fixed the issue by adjusting the idle while warm, not cold (yea I'm a newb).. BUT today it started doing the same thing again..I had just finished a 40 mile ride and revved close to redline just before noticing the issue.. does the idle simply need adjusted occasionally or is it a sign of some problem? any help would be much appreciated!

Comment

I just found out that the cause for mine is that the carbs need cleaning. Ugghh... $1100 and several days without my bike won't be fun while they take care of it.

Comment

Would it have been cheaper and quicker to just get a properly rebuilt set from Arsenic? Yes, yes it would.
              Who is the hell is charging you $1100 to clean your carbs????
              1992- project katfighter
              2005- GSXR750
              2001- TL1000R
              http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=111130
              www.lunchtimecigar.com

KATRIDERS RALLY 2014 - cintidude04
              KATRIDERS RALLY 2015 - cintidude04
              KATRIDERS RALLY 2016 - cintidude04

Comment

Originally posted by cintidude04 View Post
                Who is the hell is charging you $1100 to clean your carbs????
                That right there is ridamndiculous

Comment

Originally posted by Jcates888 View Post
                  I just found out that the cause for mine is that the carbs need cleaning. Ugghh... $1100 and several days without my bike won't be fun while they take care of it.

Um, what?
                  90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                  I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                  Originally posted by soulless kaos
                  but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

(I'm not that dumb).

Ugghh... $1100 and several days without my bike won't be fun while they take care of it.
                    Last edited by arsenic; 08-13-2011, 03:40 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Arsenic's last post said it all.
                      I didn't pay half that price for my bike to begin with
                      1992- project katfighter
                      2005- GSXR750
                      2001- TL1000R
                      http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=111130
                      www.lunchtimecigar.com

KATRIDERS RALLY 2014 - cintidude04
                      KATRIDERS RALLY 2015 - cintidude04
                      KATRIDERS RALLY 2016 - cintidude04

Comment