X

replacing front end on katana 600

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replacing front end on katana 600

hi guys, just wondering if any of you know if i can put the front end from a gsxr600 on my gsx600f, its a 89 model, gsx600fk in the uk. not sure if it is the same in the states. are the bearing all the same size on the gsxr and the gsxf? the reason for doing it is that one of my forks oil seal has gone and the bolt at the bottom of the fork is rounded so i cant get it off to change the oil seal. i have had to put a second oil seal on top of the first one to try and stem the leak a bit. hope someone can help.

Originally posted by frodo View Post
    hi guys, just wondering if any of you know if i can put the front end from a gsxr600 on my gsx600f, its a 89 model, gsx600fk in the uk. not sure if it is the same in the states. are the bearing all the same size on the gsxr and the gsxf? the reason for doing it is that one of my forks oil seal has gone and the bolt at the bottom of the fork is rounded so i cant get it off to change the oil seal. i have had to put a second oil seal on top of the first one to try and stem the leak a bit. hope someone can help.

Something like these....

Would probably be alot cheaper and get that bolt out instead of replacing the entire front end.

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Drill the head of the bolt off with a 8mm (5/16") drill bit and then replace with a bolt that has a longer head 8x1.25mm.

Tmod

Comment

im looking to streetfighter it anyway so not too fussed about spending a bit extra. will have to drill it out if i cant fit another front end.

Comment

the way i read the question was will the gsxr forks go on
          1 because they're better than the gsx forks
          2 you are then able to run better calipers

Comment

with that you are correcdt sir, better calipers and performance in general. do you know if gsxr forks will go straight on the gsx600f? not just forks, full front end, forks, the bit that holds the forks and attaches to frame, bars, wheel etc. hope someone can help, its getting rather bad with the oil seal.

Comment

1. I'd find a better set of forks than those personally. (is the gsxr or your gsxf the 89 model?)
              2. Do a search for front end swaps, there is plently of material around the site about it.
              3. If you really cant find info on that specific swap, next time try posting in the suspension section.
              1992- project katfighter
              2005- GSXR750
              2001- TL1000R
              http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=111130
              www.lunchtimecigar.com

KATRIDERS RALLY 2014 - cintidude04
              KATRIDERS RALLY 2015 - cintidude04
              KATRIDERS RALLY 2016 - cintidude04

Comment

didnt know there was a suspension section, sorry, will remember for next time i have a 89 gsx600f that has a bad front end and was wondering what other front ends i can put on it. would love some yummy upside downs for it, or some chunkier forks to add effect. will do a search for front end swaps on site, thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by frodo View Post
                  didnt know there was a suspension section, sorry, will remember for next time i have a 89 gsx600f that has a bad front end and was wondering what other front ends i can put on it. would love some yummy upside downs for it, or some chunkier forks to add effect. will do a search for front end swaps on site, thanks.
                  just been reading in that the upside down forks from the oil cooled gsxr fiyou'd need the complete front end, which isn't cheap but would be well worth it,
                  i'm assuming it fits the original gsxf
                  and not just the later 98 on model

Comment

Working...
                  X