X

New Float Needles/Seats in - Questions about Re-Sync

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Float Needles/Seats in - Questions about Re-Sync

So, I've got everything back together, carbs are good as new. Its time to take her in and get sync'ed.

I fired it up, and it actually held the idle when I finally disengaged the choke (even though the idle was sort of all over the place.)

Is this normal for a non-sync'ed bike?

Also, once in a while you hear a little bit of a putt (almost like a small backfire) out of the exhaust as it idles.

Just want to make sure everything is good, and that she'll be ok once I get her sync'ed.
    1999 600 Katana
    sigpic

What do you mean by idles all over the place? And an afterfire is through the exhaust, backfire is through the intake.
    1992- project katfighter
    2005- GSXR750
    2001- TL1000R
    http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=111130
    www.lunchtimecigar.com

KATRIDERS RALLY 2014 - cintidude04
    KATRIDERS RALLY 2015 - cintidude04
    KATRIDERS RALLY 2016 - cintidude04

Comment

Well, its not a smooth idle (goes to different RPMs)

And I guess yeah, a bit of an afterfire while idling (very quiet though)
      1999 600 Katana
      sigpic

Comment

Idle should smooth out with a sync. Unless you have a hanging idle.
        1992- project katfighter
        2005- GSXR750
        2001- TL1000R
        www.lunchtimecigar.com

Comment

Check for vacuum/air leaks.

You can do a "partial sync" without a sync tool to see if that will help.

Set the idle at around 1800 rpms or close as you can, then turn the sync screw on carbs 3-4 no more than 1 full turn. Check either direction, if the rpms pick up... your probably closer to sync. Adjust the idle back to 1800 with the idle adjust cable, and then Switch to carbs 1-2, do the same... no more than 1 full turn either direction. When the idle pics up a bit (if no change, put it back to the starting point)... adjust the idle again and switch to between 2-3...

If you started out with a close bench sync, it would be very possible to get much close to proper sync with this method by simply listening to how the engine responds.

Never go more than 1 full turn this way. Always keep track of what you have changed so you can "go back" or "reset" to the bench sync position.

If you do that, then you cant' really mess it up too bad as you can always reset to what you had.

If you get it closer to the right sync, you should see an improvement to the bike's idle and running performace. The throttle should be responsive and quickly go up and down in rpms when you "blip" the throttle.

You DO still need to have them actualy fully synced with a tool! Don't skimp out on that.

Krey
          93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Also, could the A/F mix screws affect anything? I think I have them all at 2.5 turns out, but its hard to tell if they're all even.
            1999 600 Katana
            sigpic

Comment

Does anyone know if you have to re-sync after adjusting A/F screws? like is there a way to do it without re-syncing the carbs?

(I just got mine sync'ed today, but I might have to adjust the A/F screws later)
              1999 600 Katana
              sigpic

Comment

I believe it is preferred, thats why I invested in a sync tool, lotta tuning on my bike.
                1992- project katfighter
                2005- GSXR750
                2001- TL1000R
                www.lunchtimecigar.com

Comment

If you touch the AF screws then you want to re-sync. There's absolutely no way you'll adjust every one of them exactly the same amount so you'll want to compensate for that with a sync.
                  Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                  HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Ok, well its sync'ed, but it seems to die pretty easily and the idle is really low.

I screwed it up last time by playing with the idle adjustment screw so much, so what do you guys suggest?

If I put it up higher, the throttle will probably hang & not come down.

Question #2 (Do I have to re-sync if I replace the spark plugs?)
                    1999 600 Katana
                    sigpic

Comment

I bench synced my old GS850L and it purred like a kitten. I used the smallest drill bit I could find, adjusted all the throttle plates to drag slightly on the drill bit and never touched it again.

It probably could have been better, but I had a good idle and no hang so I didn't bother to spend any more time on it.

I synced the Kat myself and it turned out good. It ran "fine" before but after the sync I noticed an improvement where it seems smoother and can idle smoother at lower rpms without stalling. I still idle it at 1100, but you get my point.

Comment

I would think not you would need a sync with plug swap unless you have a real bad plugs (Miss-fire). I bought a sync tool and consider it part of my regular maintence. In your case I'd start by checking for vacuum leaks like other have said, it could be the root of all your idle problems.
                        Good luck Richard
                        96 Suzuki GSX750F
                        89 Suzuki GSX600F Project
                        05 Yamaha WR450F
                        05 Yamaha YZ450F

sigpic

Comment

i need to sync mine but i dont have a tool but ill invest in one
                          J'ai Aime, J'ai Souffert, Maintenant, Je Hais...

which is translated from french 2 english reads:

I have loved. I have suffered. Right now, I hate.

Comment

Working...
                          X