X

OEM oil filter life while on the bike

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OEM oil filter life while on the bike

Has anyone ever heard of a time limit on oil filters? I have 1 year and 1600 miles and would like to wait until 2500. Mostly highway miles and I have Silkolene Comp 4 semi synthetic 10w40 in the crankcase. Bike shifts super like it did when the oil was new.

I have taken Napa car oil filters apart after 9 months in car and I didn't find any deterioration of the element or major rubber parts or adhesive.

I'm probably being overly concerned....

I believe the OEM Suzuki filters should be replaced every other oil change.
    1992- project katfighter
    2005- GSXR750
    2001- TL1000R
    http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=111130
    www.lunchtimecigar.com

KATRIDERS RALLY 2014 - cintidude04
    KATRIDERS RALLY 2015 - cintidude04
    KATRIDERS RALLY 2016 - cintidude04

Comment

Yeah, according to the manual it is every other oil change. I just replace it every oil change. It's a freakin' oil filter, what's it cost like $3.50 - $5.00?

Comment

I changed mine 3,000 to 5,000 miles.
        sigpic

RIP CP
        50th Anniv R6
        95 Katana 600
        http://www.assfaultjunkies.com/index.php

Comment

According to an article i read not long ago on oil analysis they were advising to change just the filter at the 3,000 mile service and the actual oil every other service - just the opposite of what I was taught oh so many years ago. Seems like modern oils are much better than in the past.
          Gotta remember that these Katana engines are high performance engines (look at redline) and being air cooled are tough on oil. I just bought a filter and it was $8. So i change both filter and oil @ 3,000. But do on ocassion go to just over 4,000 depending on circumstances. (I run Royal Purple as I've found the bike shifts marginally better than with anything else).
          Wherever you turn, wherever you go, if you get it wrong the least you can know: there's miles and miles to put it back together.
          G. Tipton, R. Halford, K. Downing

sigpic

Comment

11.3 to 1 compression ratio is not high performance. It's a high rev engine, not a high performance engine.

Comment

That's certainly your opinion and you are entitled to it.
              Wherever you turn, wherever you go, if you get it wrong the least you can know: there's miles and miles to put it back together.
              G. Tipton, R. Halford, K. Downing

sigpic

Comment

I happen to share that opinion with Suzuki Motor Corporation.

Comment

oem filter cost me $15 at the dealership...guess i shoulda expected that though. i will def be running it for 2 changes.

Comment

most recent NAPA filter was $8... can't even get a burger for that... just replace the thing.
                    2015 KTM 1290 Super Adventure
                    2005 Suzuki 750 Katana, sold
                    1984 Kawasaki gpz 550, sold
                    1982 Suzuki gs400e - sold
                    1973 Honda cb350 - sold

Comment

Thanks for all the replies and opinions guys...But remember I'm talking about TIME not miles..as some guys put on 3000 miles in 3 months and I did just 1500 in a whole season..So thats why I ask about time. Miles I would not want to push it past what Suzuki recommends changing the oem filter,which if good for 2 oil changes that would be 6000 miles...Which in my case having owned the bike since new and never neglected the oil changes is probably ok.

The OEM filter at the dealer was $14 a few years back. The next down in quality would probably be the Napa PS 1359..Which was $9 a few years back.

I just don't want to over maintain and waste money like the kid at work that put Royal Purple in his old Grand Prix...

But I'm not trying to be cheap as I did buy the RK chain rivet tool for $112

Comment

A 4 cylinder engine, 750 cc producing less then 100 hp and run on regular is not a high performance engine.
                        98 GSX750F
                        95 Honda VT600 vlx
                        08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

I've never heard of an oil filter deteriorating from time, I think the oil would breakdown before you had to worry about the filter. I think you're all set.
                          89 Katana 750
                          06 Honda CRF250R

Comment

Oil filter isn't a time issue, the oil is a time issue.

Oil is recomended to be changed in the manual every 3000 miles OR 1 year.

If your changing your filter every change, or every other oil change, then ... seems the answer is there.

Krey
                            93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Working...
                            X