X

Scary Transmission Ordeal

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scary Transmission Ordeal

I was cruising not too long ago, and went to upshift 4-5. Nothing special, no full throttle, just cruising. Instead of shifting into 5, the shifter goes loose and it sounds like a ton of rocks inside of the transmission. I still have the clutch in, and do not let it go. As I try and lift it back into 5th, it feels like grinding. Figuring I have little to lose, I jam it back down into 4th and it goes. After that, everything is normal.

Oil is full and new, clutch cable properly adjusted. What happened?
    1994 Suzuki Katana 750
    1995 Mustang GT Convertible
    1991 Mustang LX Hatch

Your foot didn't snap the gear fast enough or far enough, so the gear faces were dancing over each other. Unlike most cars (all but the super cars), motorcycles use gears that need to be slammed together quickly with a clean snapping motion... If it was an one-time thing, don't panic, but get used to snapping that puppy home hard and firm.

Cheers,
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Good to know, thanks!
      1994 Suzuki Katana 750
      1995 Mustang GT Convertible
      1991 Mustang LX Hatch

Comment

Mine is some kinda rattleing noise, But it shifts just fine.>? It's not loud or anything just sounds like there's somethin lose in the case???

Comment

Originally posted by mad max
          Mine is some kinda rattleing noise, But it shifts just fine.>? It's not loud or anything just sounds like there's somethin lose in the case???
          Look closely at the exterior shaft that connects the shifter lever to the transmission input location -- it may be loose or damaged, and you may actually be getting noise from that instead of from something internal. It's adjustable for length, so you can change the tightness and position of the shifter some in relationship to the peg.

Cheers,
          =-= The CyberPoet
          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
          X