X

proper choke procedure ?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• proper choke procedure ?

My owners manual only mention of the choke lever is to use it when starting a cold engine. My questions are, how long do I keep it on, do I reduce it after a certain point, and at what stage do I turn it off. Everything I learnt was trial and error. I turn on my choke on a cold engine, it runs, a bit rough but after about 15 seconds it starts reving to 2000, so at that point i reduce it, after 2 min s I turn it off, engine is good on its own, but I cant ride cause acceleration sputters and not snoothe, so I wait another 3 minutes, then its smoothe. Is this normal, and is there a proper procedure for warm up period?

If your carbs are clean you don't really need the choke. Everything you are doing is correct. I guess you just need to wait 5 minutes for your bike to warm up.

Comment

CP always said never use the choke for more that 30 seconds. After that blip the throttle.
      In cooler weather it could take 15 minutes of riding for my bike to really run well.

Comment

I generally start with the choke on cold starts for maybe 10 seconds. Then barely open the throttle just to slightly raise the rpms and shut off the choke. Couple more seconds keeping the rpms slightly raise then let it go an idle on its own for a couple minutes. The first couple miles I'm slow on the throttle letting the engine come up to full operating temp, then its fun and games lol.
        1992- project katfighter
        2005- GSXR750
        2001- TL1000R
        http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=111130
        www.lunchtimecigar.com

KATRIDERS RALLY 2014 - cintidude04
        KATRIDERS RALLY 2015 - cintidude04
        KATRIDERS RALLY 2016 - cintidude04

Comment

I start with the choke, then turn it down to halfway after about 5-10 seconds of running. As soon as the rpms start to climb I shut the choke off and let the bike idle while I finish gearing up. (zip jacket, put on the lid and gloves) By the time I'm done she's ready to ride so long as I take it easy on the throttle for the first few minutes. (Easy to do since the speed limit is 20 mph in my neighborhood.)
          Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
          HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Thanks everyone for this thread! Been meaning to ask myself...

Comment

ive always have had the mentality of "use as little choke as possible"... typically when my rpms rise is when i shut it off... and remember the engines cold as well so dont be crackin it open... just let her warm up.
              "even one weak point is a weak point, DON'T MAKE ANY!" ~me

2006 turboed kat
              2004 marauder 800

Comment

I like to barely use choke when I start it but increase my idle a little bit on the knob....

Then as the bike warms up I turn down the idle as i ride.

I like to barely use choke when I start it but increase my idle a little bit on the knob....

Then as the bike warms up I turn down the idle as i ride.
                Last edited by MikeyZ; 04-21-2011, 08:30 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Originally posted by Black_peter View Post
                  CP always said never use the choke for more that 30 seconds. After that blip the throttle.
                  In cooler weather it could take 15 minutes of riding for my bike to really run well.
                  Easy for him to say as he lived in FL. I'll flip the choke wide open, start up, close it to get a reasonable idle, then putt away. If I close it completely and bike runs fine,so be it, that can be in 20 secs. However, I have times when the throttle wouldn't really respond, so I pulled it back out, running the choke for over a minute. This occurs when it is below freezing.

Comment

According to the post owners manual.

1. Move the choke lever all the way toward you.
                    2. Push start button
                    3. Immediately after the bike starts keep the RPM at 2000 by varying the choke lever position.
                    4. After 30 seconds move the choke lever to the full off position. It may be necessary to use the choke for longer than 30 seconds in extremely cold situations.

That is the free download owners manual for 98-02 kats. During the summer I usually don't have to use the choke at all. In the winter or days below about 40 I usually have to keep it on a little longer than 30 seconds. I rarely ever take off without having the engine warmed to the point I can crack it open and not have to worry about sputtering. When I first got the bike I was nearly hit by a car because I didn't let the bike warm up and pulled out into traffic.

Comment

Originally posted by jjhussell View Post
                      According to the post owners manual.

1. Move the choke lever all the way toward you.
                      2. Push start button
                      3. Immediately after the bike starts keep the RPM at 2000 by varying the choke lever position.
                      4. After 30 seconds move the choke lever to the full off position. It may be necessary to use the choke for longer than 30 seconds in extremely cold situations.

That is the free download owners manual for 98-02 kats. During the summer I usually don't have to use the choke at all. In the winter or days below about 40 I usually have to keep it on a little longer than 30 seconds. I rarely ever take off without having the engine warmed to the point I can crack it open and not have to worry about sputtering. When I first got the bike I was nearly hit by a car because I didn't let the bike warm up and pulled out into traffic.
                      Thats my main concern, riding while motor is not fully warmed, if i should demand power on a critical situation , i manna be assured I`m gonna get no misses or sputters.

Comment

you can usually tell if it is not warmed up enough just by cracking the gas a little. If it sputters when it revs then it isn't warm. I don't think there is any other way to know that it is warm other than get an oil temp gauge and monitor it that way. I usually start mine, get the choke right and then put my gear on. If it is moderate or warm outside my bike will usually be good to go. If it is cold I have to wait a little longer.

Comment

Full choke to start
                          once RPMs pick up operate the choke to keep RPMs below 3000 rpm.
                          After 30 seconds shut the choke off completely and continue to warm up the engine using the throttle to maintain a fast idle.

I have a throttle lock and try to keep a 2000-3000 rpm for 3+ minutes.
                          98 GSX750F
                          95 Honda VT600 vlx
                          08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

Originally posted by Wild-Bill View Post
                            I start with the choke, then turn it down to halfway after about 5-10 seconds of running. As soon as the rpms start to climb I shut the choke off and let the bike idle while I finish gearing up. (zip jacket, put on the lid and gloves) By the time I'm done she's ready to ride so long as I take it easy on the throttle for the first few minutes. (Easy to do since the speed limit is 20 mph in my neighborhood.)
                            I agree .
                            Never having a F.I bike and I have always done this procedure on cold starts.In the less than 10 degree weather it needs the choke a bit longer the closer you get to Zero .Gradually ease the choke out as the RPM's climb until its not needed.

ok now you have two pages of choke answers from the south to north .....good luck
                            Be safe
                            I have got to work on my sensitivity ........ok thats over lets get to the next caring moment

Comment

Originally posted by Irish View Post
                              ...In the less than 10 degree weather...
                              Why would you be starting a bike (or doing anything else outside that you don't absolutely have to do) in "less than 10 degree weather"?!!!? You Canadians are nuts!
                              Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                              HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Working...
                              X