X

Time & Battery

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time & Battery

Whats goin on all, I have made it back from traveling abroad. I was excited to get my bike running again. Well of course somthing has to **** on my parade. I go to start my bike & nothing turns on, so of course starting the bike is out of the question. Before I had left I made pretty sure to turn of all components and kept the kill switch in the off position. I realize I should have DC'd the batter before I left. I had done that before I had went to Afghanistan and it had worked when I got back. But nevertheless it isn't working now. What are my options at this point? The bike is in a storage shed & all my buddies had just deployed so I have no way of moving it. I had bought a maintainer from walmart, could I DC the battery take it back to the barracks, recharge it, then bring it back to my bike? Or will I need to buy a new battery? If so do they supply a usable pre-charged battery for the bike at walmart? My bike is my only vehicle, all my buddies are gone, & I don't have a mailing address so I don't have many options. Any suggestions? I am currently in OH and fly back to CA Friday. I don't believe I can get on a plane with a pre-charged motorcycle battery.

When you say "DC" exactly what do you mean?
    You should be able to bump start it of the gas isn't too bad.
    -Steve

sigpic
    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
    Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Think he meant disconnect. Is there anyway of pluggin in the charger in or near the shed? Should start fairly quickly if you can.
      1992- project katfighter
      2005- GSXR750
      2001- TL1000R
      http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=111130
      www.lunchtimecigar.com

KATRIDERS RALLY 2014 - cintidude04
      KATRIDERS RALLY 2015 - cintidude04
      KATRIDERS RALLY 2016 - cintidude04

Comment

Originally posted by steves View Post
        When you say "DC" exactly what do you mean?
        You should be able to bump start it of the gas isn't too bad.
        Disconnected, I should have DC'd the battery from the black/red before deploying I believe since I did it before Afghan & it worked after 8months when I reconnected it. But I hadn't done it this time, I was thinking if I can recharge it with a maintainer by taking the battery out of the bike completley & bringing it with me to the barracks where I can charge it since I cant move the bike from storage.

Comment

A battery is really only good for 3-5 years. Just buy a new one and call it done.
          -Steve

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by cintidude04 View Post
            Think he meant disconnect. Is there anyway of pluggin in the charger in or near the shed? Should start fairly quickly if you can.
            I'll look around, but I doubt it. If there is I will need to roll my bike some distance to it. the Maintainer says it takes 5-13hrs for 12-32 AH which I am unsure of what type of battery is in my bike. Its a 06 600cc kat stock.

Comment

A battery is really only good for 3-5 years. Just buy a new one and call it done.
              +1, If it has survived a couple deployments you should be happy it lasted. Mine only lasted 1 deployment on my CM. Just gettin back stateside a new battery should be pocket change lol.
              1992- project katfighter
              2005- GSXR750
              2001- TL1000R
              www.lunchtimecigar.com

Comment

Alright thats really what I needed to hear if that is the case then. You know if I can get them from Walmart & if so what kind should I get? Its the only thing walking distance from my storage shed & I will be walking about 30-45min lol.

Comment

If you are able to plug it in you wont need to wait for a full charge lol. I was able to go from a dead battery to on my way to sears for a replacement in 2 minutes.
                  1992- project katfighter
                  2005- GSXR750
                  2001- TL1000R
                  www.lunchtimecigar.com

Comment

Yeah, probalby an extension cord and a charger. If you want a quick solution you can always use booster cables. I did that already this year and mine ran fine. You mentioned that all your buddies are gone, so worst case scenario you pay a bit and get a tow truck there. Just dont shut it off right away cause you need some time for the battery to recharge. If you have a wet celled battery check to see if there is liquid in it first before boosting it. Otherwise there won't be any recharging going on. If you do need to buy a battery get a gel cell. More cranking amps and less tempremental.

Hope you get it running

Comment

Just go to Pep boys or any place and spring for a new batt and your troubles will be over. Basically a new batt is not that hard to replace. You might waste more time doing all of the other things you have mentioned only to eventually find out that your original batt is dead.......
                      sigpic
                      98 Katana 750 89 Katana 600
                      Corbin Gunfighter & Scorpion Pipe

Comment

Float charger people....

I get aprox 10 years to a battery in most of my bikes. I dont use cheap garbage batteries and when the bike is going to sit for more then a week or two its plugged into the float charger. My boat batteries sit for 8 months of the year and are about 7-8 years old and still crank like new.

Take care of them...
                        Get a float charger...
                        Put it on float when its not being used
                        98 GSX750F
                        95 Honda VT600 vlx
                        08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

On deployment for people living in a barracks thats usually not possible. Especially in military storage. Although now I am not deploying anymore I will have to look into a float charger. Any recomendations Hardly?
                          1992- project katfighter
                          2005- GSXR750
                          2001- TL1000R
                          www.lunchtimecigar.com

Comment

Pull a CC Ryder (oops realllly dated my self there.. TDR should pop in and bust me anytime now.. LOL)

Walk into Walmart, find the battery, find a charger. prep and fill the battery. plug it in somewhere and while it's charging have a snack//
                            Then put the charger back and pay for the battery!
                            Come on!! CC and Company? with Joe Namath? No?
                            Where he makes the sandwich?

Ok Seriously, Walmart might not have a sealed cell battery, that is the only one you're going to get away with installing and starting IMO
                            A Lead Acid might, but you have to fill it with the (included ) acid and at least wait some time.
                            So: Go to a bar, chat up an available girl, get her to give you a ride to the bike and jump start it. Then take the bike somewhere they have decent batteries. A good place will sell you a battery and make sure it is charged up.. Especially for one of the Troops..

Then take the girl for a ride..

Comment

Originally posted by hardlydangerous View Post
                              Float charger people....

I get aprox 10 years to a battery in most of my bikes. I dont use cheap garbage batteries and when the bike is going to sit for more then a week or two its plugged into the float charger. My boat batteries sit for 8 months of the year and are about 7-8 years old and still crank like new.

Take care of them...
                              Get a float charger...
                              Put it on float when its not being used
                              The question wasn't "how to maintain it" the question was "how do I get it going"

To the OP: What you should try to do is bump start the bike.

Search the world's information, including webpages, images, videos and more. Google has many special features to help you find exactly what you're looking for.
                              Last edited by steves; 04-21-2011, 05:58 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                              -Steve

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X