X

Emergency.... Please help

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Emergency.... Please help

I have a 96 katana. 600and I had to switch the screw assembly clutch release aka worm gear out and new clutch cable... put on and I cannot go anywhere clutch isn't engaging... the push rod tht the worm gear presses on comes completely out of the case.. if I pull it out.. is tht supposed to happen if not how do I fix if so what else could be the prob please help anyone I'm out of gas and this is my only ride need to fix today if possible

Wow I got dizzy tryin to read that lol.
    1992- project katfighter
    2005- GSXR750
    2001- TL1000R
    http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=111130
    www.lunchtimecigar.com

KATRIDERS RALLY 2014 - cintidude04
    KATRIDERS RALLY 2015 - cintidude04
    KATRIDERS RALLY 2016 - cintidude04

Comment

wish i could but i am just as confused as cinti
      1990 kat 600 sigpic

Comment

ya man....calm down and take deeps breaths. it's hard to operate a keyboard when you are freaking out.

so what you are saying is that your bike is acting like it is in neutral.....the clutch slipping? that's what is usually meant when you say not engaging.

did you try adjusting the cable?
        I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

yes, the push rod will just pull right out.

You need to adjust the cable for the correct length to operate the clutch.

You may also need to adjust at the worm gear if you replaced that. This is where you actually adjust for the clutch.

Krey
          93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Ok I've adjusted about every way possible... the push rod doesn't budge when I push on it... I honestly just needed the clip tht connects the cable to the worm gear but they don't sell it tht way so I got a whole new worm gear... thought I could just slap it on and replace... instead it has turned into a night mare... how exactly are u supposed to adjust maybe I'm doing something wrong

Comment

You're defiantly doing something wrong. jus' sayin'

Comment

From the Haynes Manual:

Remove the plug from the clutch release mechanism set in the engine sprocket cover. (That's the clutch release assembly inside the sprocket cover that you just replaced. There's a screw in the middle of it with a locknut on that.)

Create slack in the clutch cable by fully backing off the locknut on the fine adjuster at the top of the cable and screwing the adjuster into the lever bracket. Do the same on the coarse adjuster set in the top of the sprocket cover.

Back off the locknut on the release mechanism, then back off adjuster screw a few turns. Turn the adjuster screw in until resistance is felt, then back it off 1/4 to 1/2 turn.

Hold the adjuster screw steady and tighten the locknut.

Readjust the cable freeplay
                Last edited by Wild-Bill; 04-19-2011, 09:31 PM.
                Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

isnt the push rod supposed to move? if i push with everything i have it doesnt budge? im really confused and stressed out about all this... it was supposed to be a simple part replacement.

Comment

You're not going to be able to just push it with your hand. That's what mechanical stuff is all aboot. It is a simple part replacement BTW. Just calm down. getting stressed out about thing tends to make stuff not work like it's supposed too.

Comment

ok so now i have it all back together and while it was working earlier... now i cant even squeez the clutch handle... something happened i believe it is the rod... omg what has happened...

Comment

You're stressed out about it and made it worse. Happens all the time. Relax, clear your head. Start from the beginning and do it again. If your all stressed about this, it's not going to work. You're currently in the wrong state of mind.
                        Last edited by arsenic; 04-19-2011, 10:15 PM.

Comment

i understand i have been stressing about it but now when i back off the cable to give the cable some slack.. i cant hardly squeeze it and you can tell its not pushing the rod... its stiff as hell no matter how much slack i give it... what did i do wrong... it didnt start doing it till i pulled the rod out.

Comment

Well, let me give you a rundown of how that all works. You squeeze the clutch lever and it moves the worm gear up and out. That pushes the little push rod. The little rod pushes the longer push rod. The longer push rod pushes the clutch piece. The clutch piece (and yes, that IS the technical name) pushes the pressure plate. That's how it all works. Figure out where it's binding and fix it.

Comment

ok do i have to tear into it?.. i cant see anything. it is all enclosed?

Comment

Working...
                              X