Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

97 Katana 600 Clunks, Grinds, & Kills!!!!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 97 Katana 600 Clunks, Grinds, & Kills!!!!

Please help a newbie...
    I have a '97 Katana 600cc. All I did was change the Oil/Filter w/ Valvoline Oil. That's it. Now, when I go to pull in the clutch and attempt to put it in 1st gear, I hear a Cluking Sound, the bike lurches forward, the oil pressure light comes on and it kills. I tried to adjust the clutch cable, but there's not much adjustment left.
    My question is... Do I need a new cable? New Clutch? Or are the plates on the clutch stuck together. Please help me out.
    Thanks in advance,

-Mike

This could be a number of things;

Im not sure in the pre98+ bikes if you have to have the cluth lever pulled in to start the bike do you? Here's a few things I would check;

1) I would first start by leaving the bike OFF, put the bike into first gear and pull in the clutch can you walk the bike or is the rear wheel locked up still?

2) If the above works I would looks at the kick stand kill switch (but if you said the bike is lurching forward its probobly not the problem here)

3) If #1 didnt work check the clutch cable itself, make sure it hasnt snapped anywhere, most commonly it breaks in the center of the cable, or at either end where it connects onto the bike/lever

4) if the cable is not broken and adjustment is good, I would take off the outer front sproket cover on the left hand side (not sure if its the proper name buts its the cover that goes over the front sproket as well as holds the end of the clutch cable) Take a look at the pin that connets from the clutch cable pully of the outter sproket cover and goes inside the clutch basket. Is it broken, is it still one solid piece? (I've had a few of these broken)

5) put the front sproket cover back on and dont forget that pin Now move to the other side of the bike. This is where it gets messy and you will most likely want to goto a stealership, but if you make it #5 and you dont have it solved get yourslef a service manual and start to take the clutch apart

But based on the symptoms I'd bet the push rod PIN is broken, or possibly dislodged, or your cable is broken.

Keep us posted,
    Nick

Comment

Bike runs, then putting it into gear kills it.
      Virtually gauranteed: Sidestand switch.
      When your sidestand swings up, it hits a contact switch that tells the bike the sidestand is up. If you try to put it into gear (any gear) with the sidestand down, the engine shuts off as a safety measure. If the pivot is damaged, the sidestand may not contact the switch. If the spring is weak, it may not come up all the way to shut it off. Or it could simply be human error (forgetting to put the sidestand up).

Cheers,
      =-= The CyberPoet
      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
        Bike runs, then putting it into gear kills it.
        Virtually gauranteed: Sidestand switch.
        When your sidestand swings up, it hits a contact switch that tells the bike the sidestand is up. If you try to put it into gear (any gear) with the sidestand down, the engine shuts off as a safety measure. If the pivot is damaged, the sidestand may not contact the switch. If the spring is weak, it may not come up all the way to shut it off. Or it could simply be human error (forgetting to put the sidestand up).

Cheers,
        =-= The CyberPoet
        Hey Cyber,

The more I think about this the less I think its the problem. If it was the sidestand switch the bike would NOT lurch forward when he puts it in first gear. This is assuming he has the clutch engadged...no?

It would in theory just kill the engine right?

Nick

Comment

Working...
        X